Log cutter advice

Yeah but try cutting wood in the forest with an electric chain saw. It's a one trick pony which was sort of the point of my post.

This being a forum, I shall now disagree with Vic! Actually only partially disagree, his wise words on safety equipment are spot on. Accidents happen so fast with chain saws you'll not know what happened just it's a very nasty cut usually requiring a hospital!!

Back to the tool itself, I own and have for a number of years a petrol stihl chainsaw (Farm boss) great for dropping large trees but way over what is required for fire logs. I ran out of chopped fire wood one night and so at just after 9pm I nipped outside to cut a few more and the sound of the saw echoed around the valley and I couldn't wait to shut it off. I bought a Bosch electric chainsaw and that is used for chopping logs for fires, It has a narrow (thinner) blade so it takes less energy to cut and it pretty amazing. Best of all it's quiet and light so less fatigue also at the end you don't smell of two stroke exhaust fumes. could easily be used after 9pm as it's about as noisy as an electric drill.

The cost of the Bosch or similar is around 1/3rd of a petrol saw so even if it needs replacing after a few years still saving. No fuel/2 stoke required just an electric point and it's instant start with no warm up required.

Hi Val thanx for your comments which reminded me of a Python song...." ..I'm a lumberjack and I don't care...." I have a manual log splitter, needless to say its has been relegated to the Past Tense of 'HAD' I also have a large Bow saw which is good for..1 the exercise and 2 dealing quickly with "one off" problems..much to the amusement of 'Ming Mong' my dog who likes to watch the sweat and then make off with the log..he is as you gather not a very bright dog but is very very large and strong and importantly for his size a very gentle. :>) Bon Chance..:>)P

Hi Vic, excellent sound advice...Yes I have just googled " How to use a Chainsaw" they highlight the same issues as you.. (looks like being the Stihl) VMT

Hiya Patrick - extremely timely question and it reminded me to check my local bod actually received my order this year. I gave up trying to wield (a) an axe and (b) a huge hammer onto a metal wedge as most of the time I simply ended up with weeping blisters despite gloves so to split chunky logs into more burnable slices I bought an electric splitter. I nearly managed to fracture an arm with that one day as a log shot out sideways while being compressed from either end but we learn from our mistakes (or I try to usually) and really it's a godsend. I can split a wheelbarrow full of fat logs in about half an hour - a heck of a lot faster than the metal wedge fight. It was about €100 I think from the brico and it's lasted quite happily (I hope I've not jinxed it now) for a couple of seasons. That should help with the 25cm diameter.

Vic, I really need to invest in a chainsaw as several of the logs that get delivered are over the 50cm they're supposed to be and it's a nightmare if they're whumping fat things and I have to use a handsaw. You can imagine. The thought terrifies me but needs must so your warning about safety taken on board hugely. I was thinking of making something akin to a saw horse and adding a couple of planks or similar at the front as a leg guard. Do I run the risk of the saw perhaps cutting through faster than anticipated and ricocheting off though, or a kick-back or whatever you call it?

If It's going to be a regular thing get a chainsaw. Electric won't be man enough for continuous cutting of your size wood so petrol it is! A 15" (38 cm) or thereabouts guide will do you fine, I've used this size for years as it's also a good general purpose size. If you can afford it go for a reputable make like Husqvarna or Stihl. I've had my Husqvarna for 16 years, given it stick & it's still going strong. A good strong saw horse will also be a help. Buy or make one. Don't be talked into buying the electric log circular saws now available. They are not really portable. no good for big wood & rubbish at cutting trees down:-)

One last IMPORTANT thing. Chainsaws are bloody dangerous. Get some lessons if you've never used one. You can also buy special protective trousers etc. so check out the stuff when you look at saws & try to negotiate a package deal. It will not be cheap but a well considered initial purchase will serve you well for years.