Loi Carrez - a flat that has no surface?

I’m planning to buy out my co-owner of a house divided into flats. All was going well till I got the details through the notaire.

One of the flats has a Loi Carrez area of zero square metres. They’re all on top of each other, with slightly different areas, and all were let out; so there’s 25 square metres, then 32 square metres, then zero.

Zero???

Worse, since I understand ‘surface habitable’ is usually less than Loi Carrez, am I actually buying a black hole?

Grateful for any insight. I have asked my notaire for some help understanding it, as well.

It’ll be under the roof or in the cellar I bet, if the height is less than a certain measurement it doesn’t count. My cellar is about 40m2 but doesn’t count as it is 1.6m high.

1 Like

Yes, it would be that most likely. Ask them what les surface de plancher are. And check you can still legally rent something that is 100% outside Loi Carrez

I wondered. It’s weird, because I own the flat opposite, which is 35 square metres. I wonder if there’s a false ceiling?

I’ve taken it up with the notaire and with my lettings agent.

Let us know, be very cool if it was a black hole :rofl:

2 Likes

Would offer effectively infinite space, but maybe a tad problematic in other respects…

1 Like

Tardis?

1 Like

The mystery is solved.

The diagnostiques arrived at my notaire’s yesterday and he’s confirmed the flat does actually have 25 square metres surface.

2 Likes

have you actually visited the flats and figured out what dimensions are where…???

Oh yes, that wasn’t the problem! Since I own the flats opposite I know the property but I just couldn’t work out what was going on with the zero!

1 Like