Long Distance Monitoring

Honestly, I prefer this. Seems much more honest. And healthy. Drama vent! Absolutely exquisite in Italian.

So much better than pinched lip simmering resentment drawn out over every little thing for ages onward.

3 Likes

I would recommend the Verisure method as this allows you to have monitoring without upsetting the neighbours.
With Verisure, you can remotely see if the alarm is activated or not and therefore you know if someone is in the property. It also runs on batteries (for a while) so intermittent power faults are not an issue and connects though gsm.

In addition, Verisure will come and install it etc so you do not have to do anything.

The 'excuse ’ to the neighbour is you understand that there are more ‘second homes’ targeted for burglaries and you want to protect it.
The downside is Verisure is a managed system with a monthly subscription.

I am not a Verisure employee or anything, we have it and a number of our friends do aswell.

1 Like

I don’t think Andy is necessarily expecting an “it’s a fair cop gov” response. If there *are* illicit tenants putting in a camera is likely to stop irregular rentals without having to have a big confrontation, just make a very big thing about it being for security, not monitoring so it’s hard for the neighbour to object.

A good question. I don’t see this is all going to end with everyone being best mates and grosses bises all round.

Good faith has already been lost on Andy’s side, asking about electricity usage will almost certainly have lost some on the neighbour’s side and putting a camera in probably even more - especially it if does cut him off from a handy but unlawful stream of revenue.

Finding a new individual to oversee the rental might be difficult and someone less than 100% honest that you can keep broadly on the straight and narrow might be preferable to no-one, especially if you live three and a half thousand miles away.

Besides, in small communities it pays to be careful with whom you fall out.

Maybe just the questioning about the electricity use will have the desired effect.

2 Likes

It is interesting that the two members who DON’T live in France see more issues with the after-effects of this strategy than all the ones that do.

2 Likes

It’s not surprising though.

2 Likes

A few years back I was contracted to put in cctv cameras into a workplace, this had to be done inside of the law as it was likely to be used for a theft prosecution of a member of staff. The person in question had been pointed out by two other members of the staff.
When the video was watched it was not without massive embarrassment when the actual culprit was observed. It takes considerable care to handle these situations and they do not always go the way you would like/think.

You’ve got us all interested now
 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you’ve got us all interested Corona. You cannot leave us without telling more.

Btw IS there even a way of saying “It’s a fair cop, guv” in French?

I still log in every day waiting for an update on ‘the wall’ and ‘the pool’ :wink: :crazy_face: oh and the ‘retraction of sale’

3 Likes

Not identical, but:
“pris en flag” (caught red-handed)
“fait comme un rat”
“pris au piùge”
“vous m’avez bien eu”

The full phrase is pris en flagrant délit

1 Like

OK

I’ll take “fait comme un rat”

:slight_smile:

Not quite the same Flocreen. That’s just caught red-handed, and misses the sense that the perpetrator - with good humour - accepts that he/she has done something wrong.

I think would be hard to have anything other than a literal translation in French as there is not (was not) the same relationship with the police.

When we bought some extra land from our neighbouring farmer we needed to get in the geometre to confirm the existing and the new boundaries. That was when we discovered our neighbour had taken two full plough widths of our land for his winter wheat. OH suggested when he came to harvest he gave us the wheat from our land. Of course there was just a gallic shrug. Fortunately he’s no longer our neighbour as he was certainly “it’s a fair cop guv” type of guy.

Despite one person being reported as the thief by two separate members of staff it turned out to be the owners offspring.

3 Likes

Darn, and I thought it was the tealady in the boardroom with the kitchen knife. :jigsaw:

2 Likes

I though the dénouement was going to be a crafty magpie or something :rofl:

1 Like

Or a wonderful black faced monkey, like those who really do enter and steal things from houses in Delhi!

2 Likes

Un flic blond, though now I’m racking my brains as to who came up with that.

Bwahaha, not that sort of cop and not that sort of fair :rofl:

2 Likes