Look to the skies ... 2021

It’s ok Sue… I was teasing (but also serious)…

the article remarked that last night’s maximum shower… in “ideal conditions” (moon, comet, angle, distance etc etc… ) would not be exactly the same until 2026… :wink:

Over the years… we used to say… no drinks until someone spots a shooting star…

1 Like

Even it has a chance of impacting Earth apparently that’s not until September 2182, I think I’m safe, as are the kids, their kids and probably their kids after that.

but can you trust the maths :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

Nah, 'cos it’s chaotic.

It’s OK folks… I have “inside information” on this asteroid .
Apparently, it is being dealt with and thus will not be a problem to us this year.

(and if my informant has got it wrong, I’ll give him hell… ) :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

Sitting in the hot tub the other night overhead went, the space station, 6 satellites and 15 meteors, then it got a bit cloudy.

3 Likes

Jupiter and its satellites are clearly visible (to some) during August… good luck everyone.

This link is to a fascinating article about Galileo and his astronomical observations…

Just one meteor near Orion in 2019, not in 2021, which has been a very bad year for stargazing.

2 Likes

This is really fascinating… although a slight deviation from the thread as we certainly can’t see this lot, just by looking upwards… :wink:

Jupiter will be a lovely site tonight

Saw Saturn last night. Could see the rings with binoculars.

1 Like

Most amazing moonrise last night - deep, deep orange.

1 Like

It was glorious wasn’t it…

and before that we had a most beautiful sunset here … I was out walking with an elderly neighbour and we just stopped and marvelled at it.

1 Like

Get yourselves ready…

here’s the video on YouTube… watch it and find out how to make the most of the magic overhead…

I’m afraid that you’re unlikely to see any Orionids - all but the very brightest will be swamped by the brightness of the moon…

perhaps this is one time when a little cloud might be useful… :wink:

Seems it’s nothing to do with the moon… all the shooting stars have been swamped with a monsoon from the outer limits of the galaxy… :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl: somewhat dampened their ardour… :wink:

Yes - we have the first cloudy/rainy night for several weeks too. But even with clear skies, Idoubt you’d have seen any Orionids!

we’re obviously not even going to see the moon tonight…