Looking for a few tips on making & freezing home made pies

For while now I’ve had cravings for home made pies & suet puddings, bacon & onion, steak & kidney chicken & mushroom, beef ale & carrot, fish & leek etc. etc.
I’m bit of a dab hand in the kitchen & can make the fillings & pastry, but I was wondering (I don’t know) how is the best way to freeze pies & puddings? Is the best way to bake them first or to put the cooked fillings (once cold) into a raw pastry casing & then freeze?
I very rarely have time now to cook pies & puddings but would love to have them in the freezer to come home to & pop them in the oven to cook whilst having a beer in-front of the fire waiting for them to cook.
Also if any of you have any special pie or pudding recipes (savory not sweet) & methods to share… Pls do!

Mmmm, sounds good - If you use a microwave I would bake them first and then freeze, but if cooking in a traditional oven (and having the delight of waiting with a beer while those wonderful aromas waft from the kitchen while its cooking) I would freeze the raw pastry with cooked filling.

2 Likes

They dont last long enough to freeze them in our house.

2 Likes

Thanks Wendy,
I’ll give both a try, I think the ones for the microwave should have short pastry & not puff.
I’ll try both sorts with the frozen raw pastries. Hey, maybe even try Cornish pasty’s. Mmmm.

1 Like

I am happy to try them for you…if they are vegetarian :yum::wink:

2 Likes

Yes Roger, that’s what I’m afraid of as Mrs Wozza’s partial to English pies & puddings but she draws the line to gravy.

me too, recipe for veggie versions welcome

1 Like

Yes Lily,
I can do veggie but most include fish or sea food, but I do often make fully veggie curries mostly with mushrooms & a hand full of chestnuts . I’ll try a few things out with the veggie pies (must remember not to use lard) & let you know, but if you were to come to try in person I’d cook fresh couldn’t be giving guests frozen. @Wendy_Cooper-Wolfe your’d be welcome too.

2 Likes

I am always telling my husband ‘if he could cook he would be perfect’ :wink:
A friend of ours mentioned to his neighbour that he missed english pork pies, a few days later the neighbour arrived with a home made pork pie!

2 Likes