Looking for a set of quality saucepans with lids

Just started on the ritual of getting our gite ready for “the season” - assuming there is one! And opened the saucepan cupboard to a hotchpotch of pots and pans. They’ve got to go! Although Leclerc’s has reasonable pans, many are without lids and I don’t like the lids you can buy separately.
Any suggestions please for where I can buy a set of quality, reasonably heavy/robust (not Le Creuset and their ilk they are too heavy) saucepans with lids.
Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Do you have a Darty near you? I’ve bought a couple of pots there that are ok, but also got a set of pots in local market that were pretty good value and are still ok after few years in the gîte. I’ve given up trying to find a durable frying pan tho’, and sadly have to replace it every two years.

We’re a touch down this year, only 14 weeks reserved so far, but it’s been a bit of an odd year. Why do you think this year will be so bad?

With fear of illness many people feel safer staying on home territory so I’m sure international traveller numbers will be down. Passenger bookings are down on planes and probably all other means of public transport. I’m now thinking of driving rather than travelling to France by train.

Ikea. Every time !

2 Likes

Agree, when we first started out (2003) we bought most of the gite kitchen stuff from Ikea. The stainless steel saucepan (with lids) are still going strong, and looking good. Likewise, the cutlery.

Thanks for the suggestions. We’ve a Darty about half an hour’s drive away, so I’ll have a look at them. I like the sound of the Ikea ones. We have their kitchen knives and cutlery and think they are excellent. Bit of a schlepp though and we’re trying to keep our mileage down - might be worth it though.

We’ve already got all the reservations we want Jane for this year but I’m not counting my chickens. If Europe doesn’t get the corona under control I can see people cancelling because they won’t want to be flying in a petri dish! Normally I ask people for their final payment 6 weeks in advance. This year, as they are all returners and I trust them, I’m going to let them take it to the wire and make a decision right at the last minute.

Oh I see…yes may well have an effect for you if you have people who fly. Our clients are mainly french, or swiss and germans who drive over.

I’d forgotten about Ikea, and yes we got a load of different things from them which have done well. Too far to be worth it for anything less than a major re-equipment, but we did get some linen sent as wanted matching stuff and I don’t recall the delivery change being awful.