Looking for advice on cooking

Peter B - it’s called initiative isn’t it - or brilliant thinking !! What we all need plenty of sometimes living in rural France. Love idea of a powered hoist for the logs - that’s luxury !!

We have induction, mainly because we did not want to faff around with gas cylinders.

I can’t say I’d rave personally although that could be because we do not have ideal cookware - although “suitable”, lightweight aluminium pans have too little thermal mass - ours pulses quite slowly when not on full power so you never really get a nice continuous simmer - the contents boil, briefly, then go off the boil for a couple of seconds, rinse, repeat.

More thermal mass in the pan would sort that out - but then you lose the “instant response” that everyone wants.

I have IKEA pans plus le Creuset and all simmer and boil like mad as required.

1 Like

It probably depends on the hob as well - ours is an Indesit and, on the low settings, it seems to do one pulse of full power every few seconds.

Mind you the other annoyance is that we’re now on our second hob (at a few hundred quid a pop) - the 1st failed after about 4-5 months use; unfortunately as it took us 4 years to accumulate that much actual use it was way over the warranty :rage:

It all depends on what you want to warm through.
The first consideration is sterility. The food probably needs to be heated upto 75C “https://scdhec.gov/food-safety-proper-cooking-reheating-temperatures”. But it depends. If you sous-vide (google for required hours at a temperature) and keep it in the sealed bag warming the “contents in bag” in a saucepan of water on the stove will maintain sterility.
The higher the temperature the tougher the protein. Think boiled eggs. The effort of cooking jarret in a slow cooker will be wasted if blasted at a high temperature in an air-fryer or halogen.
Microwaves, especially if they are combined with a convection oven have many benefits. Prepare suet pudding and instant custard (not at the same time) in less than ten minutes, scrambled eggs, reheat - in suitable container! tinned soup, tomatoes etc. Watch fat content as some plastic may melt. Cook beetroot, rhubarb, baked apple. Microwaves may not be good with some vegetables, especially when steaming - too fast to control. But microwave combined with convection oven is brilliant at baked potato. (Top range microwaves can be programmable, change the time and ratio of microwave to heat during the cooking process. Investigate roasting bags and chicken .) The list of food that can be prepared in a microwave is endless with many dedicated cook books. Personally, I would avoid Ninja’s. They are expensive in the UK. I experience problems with the rotisserie I have tried. They fail to turn. Lidl/Aldi often have microwaves at a good price.
Slow cookers operate at different temperatures. The bigger ones are often too hot (in my experience). A temperature above 85C is needed for root vegetables. Chicken etc. stock in a slow cooker remains clear as there is no boiling agitation to emulsify water and fat.
Horses for courses. But if in a hurry a microwave is very versatile.
Hope this helps.
ps. Chafing dishes at the table

for simply warming through… I use my bog standard microwave… works wonders. :wink: :relaxed: :relaxed:

These are wonderful, but so heavy.
Unfortunately sold mine off years ago for a pittance as my wife could n’t manage them.

Hi Stella, Yes that’s fine but pastry just goes soggy!

Beth

Having had the luxury of being able to choose the largest room in the house (193³m) to use as my kitchen, I was able to set it out accordingly. 9.4mts of work surface allows me to have a pro induction hob (7) “rings”, two 3.5kW gas rings, a 8 kW wok ring, a Lava grill and a built-in deep fat fryer. Oven wise there are two single/doubles, a combination micro and a slow cooker/warming drawer. Just to finish, a 350°C Salamander. Spoilt for choice.

2 Likes

how about a blowtorch… :thinking: to crisp it up again… :wink: :wink:

edited: I suppose it all depends on how often one needs to reheat pastry… for me it is a rare occurrence and the micro is fine.

If I were to reheat pastry (pies) for guests… I would use the electric oven…
having said that, I often reheat croissants… (not sure if folk regard that as pastry)… and find the micro is excellent

Sorry Anne, I thought I mentioned that it’s a gas bbq so incredibly easy to use.

:palms_up_together: :raised_hands: :palms_up_together: :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi Stella - So what about all those mince pies at Christmas???

x

I make mincemeat slice … cook great trays of it in the oven… and divide it into fingers…
Neighbours et al… absolutely adore it… “le goüt de Noël”

Mind you… if anyone does arrive at the Carol Singing bringing M Pies… I do the decent thing and put the oven on to gently warm them through… :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:
and sometimes folk bring sausage rolls… (a rare treat)

My French pals are more likely to bring home-made macarons… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Edit: Christmas will not be as in previous years, I fear… :frowning:

We need a photo please!

I have just bought a Ninja Foodi and it has so many functions. It can pressure cook, steam, slow cook, make yogurt, air crisp, grill, bake/roast and dehydrate. I have only used the air crisp function so far but am looking forward to doing so much more.

These multi-function does everything including bringing me tea in bed in the morning cookers, aren’t you forever having to wash them out before you can start the next task?

No they do that also, along with taking themselves to the supermarket to buy the food.

4 Likes

Sadly in this house I do everything, I would buy one of these wonder dodads if it went to the blessed supermarket too though. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi Maureen, Could you please send me details of your Ninja or possibly a link, I’m more confused than ever!
Thanks
Beth