Looking for feedback on climate in Charente, Creuse & Corrèze

Hi Mark - we are considering viewing a property out there on the plateau. Research on meteo was inconclusive as the winter gets referred to as ‘harsh’? We are looking at Peyrelevade,. Wondered whether winter means ‘snowed in’ or whether it simply means keeps thermals a plenty? Are you able to give advice please?

Hi Melody
Like lot of areas, we have seen quite a lot of climatic changes over the past 15 years. We used to get very “harsh” winter’s, down to -25, sometimes for extended periods of time, and lots of snow - in about 2007 it snowed every day for 6 weeks and built up to well over a metre. It’s rare to get snowed I though, it’s happened to us twice, but mainly due to fallen trees.

More recently, the winter’s have been milder - it briefly dropped to -12 this last winter and not much snow either. Like other areas, it has been very wet though - it’s why everything is very green now…

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. This helps our considerations tremendously.

We have no issue about getting snowed in for a six week period. Several months (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers style) would be too much to bear. By that time, I might be losing my mind having run out of craft supplies lol.

Our uk home goes live on the market this weekend. So hopefully I can soon arrange a quick flight over to do an initial viewing on the millevache plateau to see if our first impressions on paper match anywhere close to the reality.

It’s all very exciting and the only thing that can slow us down is getting a buyer for uk side.

Only found this site a few days ago. Already very pleased I did!

Thank you :blush:

Simone, going by your original pot I would say the best area for you would be the western Charente or even Charente Maritime.
If you’re looking for more mild winters then Creuse and Correze are not for you. If you want more sunshine then western Charente or C Maritime is ten times better as it has the second most hours of annual sunshine in France. It may be wetter but not by much. I live on the eastern Charente/ western Hte Vienne border and it gets quite a lot colder than the western side. The one advantage of where I am is that it’s about the only place in France i’ve been which show any resemblance to having the four seasons.

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your feedback but meanwhile I moved in Corrèze and I really don’t like it here so after only 8 months, I am selling the house and facing another move !

I am going back to the Jura (la région des lacs), colder than Corrèze but also with 4 real seasons.

Well we’ve been in the Jura for 10 years now and it’s suits us just fine. Like everywhere the weather has been more unpredictable in last few years, but still get seasons.

But if you don’t like humidity then don’t buy next to a lake…