Looking for lively towns between Bergerac and Bordeaux

Based on 20odd years of driving through them I think they have got drearier, are grim now and as for the atmosphere I think the fact that 4 18 year-olds who were at my school in Ste Foy until this year recently went off to Castillon and killed someone rather sums it up. I don’t hear anything good about them.

There gas been quite a bit of investment in Castillon-la-Bataille and the nature of the shops is changing. New crémerie, Japanese restaurant, Spanish Deli- just see the prices of the houses by the river!

I live very near st foy and i would certainly not call it lively. Yes there is a nice Saturday market here and a few cafes but thats about it. Sort of dreary. But if brico stores are your idea of lively…we certainly have no shortage of those

This post caught my eye because we’re active seniors researching best lively towns to move to near (but not in) Bordeaux. We don’t want a sleepy village and hope to age in place. An easy train ride into Bordeaux would be convenient. Is it possible to live car free? Of particular interest is having a sense of social connections. No point in finding a lovely property and feeling isolated. I realize it’s challenging making French friends, but we’re bilingual and open to joining clubs and associations. I’m rambling on but wonder about the differences in living in towns with train stations on the east side of Bordeaux (Libourne, St Emilion) in comparison with towns to the south of Bordeaux (Cadaujac, Saint Medard, Portets). Would property agents be the most practical source of information?

1 Like