Looking for people's thoughts on the following departments

Or not dinner party conversation....depending on the guests.

Hello again Terry. I did a search on Google for immobiliers in Lozere and a few came up so I had a look at what was available in our budget, just to get an idea. The landscape of mountains and limestone is certainly wild and rugged. It seems for our budget we would struggle to find a property with enough land for our project. We need a habitable house and outbuildings with a minium of 1.5 hectares of woodland/meadow, ideally quite a bit more. Can't remember if you said or I read it, but because Lozere is mainly upland and mountainous that properties with land command a premium and that farmland is offered to farmers first? I saw a few "fermettes" with very little land..maybe this gets sold off seperately to farmers? I had a look on Leboincoin at property in Lozere but because there is no option to specify land size there are literally hundreds of properties to look through! I will keep looking but we have to be sure we will be able to find something in our budget befre checking out the area.

Paul, if I get a moment, I'll drop in on the agent who sold us our property and see what he can come up with.

1 Like

Paul, type hectare or ha in que cherchez-vous ? and you'll narrow it down immediately ;-)

and yes farmers have first rights to buy land in any part of France, everything has to go through safer now :-(

We've had a house in the Auvergne for almost 8 years now. We're on the border of Puy de Dome and Haute Loire, at an altitude of approx 2000 feet. Population density in our commune is 7.9 per square km. Since we've been here, the hottest summer temperature has been 42 degrees in the shade, and the lowest winter temp was minus 26. That particular winter, the temp didn't rise above minus 8 at any time during a period of around 3 weeks, but I think that was exceptional. We love the Auvergne because it has distinct seasons, unlike our place in Snowdonia, where it rains all year round - a sort of permanent Autumn! There are a lot of summer thunderstorms, most of which seem to go around us, and there is sometimes a fairly "brisk" warm wind in summer. We've found the people to be very friendly and helpful. There are about 120 people in the commune, but only about 20 in our village, so everyone knows everyone else and there is a real community spirit. There are few young people or children around because there is no work, no school, no shops, etc. We think we're very lucky to be surrounded by beautiful countryside, with a stunning view over to Puy de Sancy and the Cezallier.

3 Likes