Looking to meet English speakers in Perigueux!

Hi all! I just moved to Perigueux, France, and would love to meet some new people/find some fun things to do! I know that everyone will be busy during the holidays, but if you have a moment or two, I’d be really grateful to get some replies! Thank you all! Happy holidays

1 Like

If you are visiting the heart of Perigueux… go the Maison des Associations ,cours Fénelon, and you will find flyers for all sorts of activities in Perigueux and nearby… something might click with you… just a thought… :thinking:

1 Like

Hello @Pertuunia and welcome to the Forum.
Since you’ve been in Perigueux since 2019, I’m sure you’re managing basic day-to-day French by now… but perhaps you’re lacking in confidence.
My advice is… to take your courage in both hands and visit the Maison des Associations.
The Receptionist is very helpful and does understand a little English (even if she won’t speak it…)
There are shelves stacked with fliers and info. You can find out about what is “happening” and no matter what are your interests, you’re almost certain to find something which appeals.
There are bound to be some English Speakers at most of the various activities and thus, you should be able to widen your circle of friends.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Hi Petunnia - I deleted the separate thread that you started as multiple, identical posts are discouraged. Can’t help you much with improving your social life near Perigueux either as I’m way up in Brittany, don’t speak great French myself and am only there part time but the Maison des Associations suggested by Stella looks to be a great way to meet people in general and there are loads of English speakers in the region.

Find a subject/club/visit… anything which interests you and give it a whirl. You don’t need to make great conversation. Listening to French is excellent as you learn the sounds and music of the language and if it’s a subject you like, that’s a bonus.
I’m sure you can say short phrases like… your Name… where you’re from originally (folk always know I’m not French and wonder where I’m from)…
and a phrase to explain that “Sorry, I don’t speak French very well” will make them take you to their hearts.
Get yourself prepared and do give it a go… you’ve nothing to lose.

Hi and welcome!

Hi im english and have never made english friends in perigueux there used to be a pub called The star inn its a real shame that there is nothing anymore i know of ? Happy new year to all .

@Alice_JOURDAIN

Hello Alice and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I recall The Star Inn but didn’t know it had closed.
They were very helpful when I inadvertently got my car “locked-in” overnight in a carpark… I thought I’d have to sleep on a bench, but they phoned “whoever” and got my car released…

If you want to specifically make English friends, I suppose you’ll need to find where the English congregate… and I have no idea on that score…
Maison des Association, Cours Fenelon, has all sorts of info… check through the fliers and see if any of them appeal/mention English… got to be worth a try.
The Tourist Office is also worth visiting… speak with them… they might well be able to advise as they’ll likely be up to date with what’s what…

There is Watson’s pub now. Near FNAC. Welcome to the forum. Do you live in PX?

Thank you ! yes im in px , is the watson’s pub owned by english people , been there a few times :blush:

I’m not sure to be honest! I work in PX but don’t live there and I’ve only been in there once for a coffee.

Hi Stella
Im not surprised they are a lovely couple last time I saw them was at there retirement party in The Star Inn ! Thanks for info I will check all that out and let you know if i find out about anythink , take care .

Oh ok , I think the Manager is french …I live In town center ,It would be good if a group of english speakers could meet or something I heard an américain had opened a cafe in the center of px

Just a thought @Alice_JOURDAIN - how about starting a group yourself? Have a word with one of the places you go to and ask if you can put up a notice and hold weekly/monthly/whatever get-togethers in their place. Mind you, I strongly recommend making it more general than just English speakers - over the years I’ve belonged to a couple of international groups and it works very well with a mixture of languages and backgrounds. One group I joined, it was the estate agent through whom we bought our house who gave me a copy of a flyer advertising a “newcomer to the area group” when I first arrived. It took huge courage on my part to walk through the door that first time, but was well worth it.

3 Likes

Maybe I could ! Thanks for the idea :blush:

1 Like