Lost in translation

Websites here are not immune to it either.

My sister sent a photo of a menu that had me in stitches from Cuba. There were a few that were howlers, the ones I remember was the peasant stew :rofl: and ā€˜food fingersā€™, chips?

Found it!

5 Likes

Who could resist theā€™ crispy stumble of old clothesā€™ :rofl:

1 Like

Or the Mini gypsy arm stuffed for pudding!

Wouldnā€™t we all like some of this first thing in the morning?

Itā€™s coffee in a local supermarket.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s bonkas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you swine - you beat me to itā€¦

1 Like

Too slow chicken marengo.

[Red Dwarf, if you didnā€™t recognise the reference]

1 Like

I saw on a menu in Spain: ā€œsalchichas con judiasā€ (sic), which was naturally translated into German as ā€œwurst mit judenā€ (also sic). The same restaurant had ā€œconejo cazadoraā€ as ā€œlapin au blousonā€.

3 Likes

Vero wins :grinning:

1 Like

1 Like

To be fair, with inflation at the moment 40 odd Snickers bars for 20ā‚¬ sounds like a very good deal. Iā€™d prefer 45 obviously, but if they offered me 40 I certainly wouldnā€™t say no.

4 Likes

ā€œThe spirit is willing but the flesh is weakā€ translated into Russian

Then back into English: ā€œThe vodka is good but the meat is rottenā€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe for early translation systems this was true, but modern ones are much better

Translating your example to Russian with Google, and back to English with Deepl and it emerges unscathed and, presumably, with its meaning intact in the middle.

By the way Google offers ā€œŠ”ŃƒŃ… Š¶ŠµŠ»Š°ŠµŃ‚, Š½Š¾ ŠæŠ»Š¾Ń‚ŃŒ сŠ»Š°Š±Š°ā€ as the Russian translation - anyone able to comment on how well that retains the meaning of the English phrase?

3 Likes

The Honda Benly - a strange name in itself, that, but a motorcycle that proved to the British that it was not obligatory to have an oil drip tray under every m/cycle in the land and was the first 250cc road bike to do 100mph.

And there went the British m/cycle industry.

It had an excellent piece of advice on a sticker on the fuel tank - ā€œBeware the grease mud for there lurks the skid demon.ā€

3 Likes

Yeah. Weird that. Broad beans [Eng] = Judias [Es] or in Consum s/mkt for e.g*. Judias finas.

By the way, it occurred to me that thoā€™ there may be plenty wrong grammatically with the notice about fire escpe etc [so I gather from the comments] it has achieved the object of that mysterious human ability - communication with a reader in such a way that the reader has been informed and understands thoughts and ideas expressed in writing.

I am assuming that none of the errors and alternative expressions suggested are requred to make the note comprehensible.

Thatā€™s weird, too - like music. Thoā€™ I have to say that my Border Collie always took notice when a passage of music featured a full brass and woodwind orchestral section. And when I picked up my guitar, she was down the stairs and into the workshop before Iā€™d plugged it in!

I think Noam Chomsky would approve of that notice, albeit it raises a laugh amongst the linguistic cognoscenti.

Itā€™s because of JudĆ­as and Judias :slightly_smiling_face: and not being able (or bothered) to spell in the original or to check the result. Crazy.

1 Like

I think it comes waaaay down on the ā€˜Crazyā€™ list. One right up there at the top is to miss the tilde off the ā€˜nā€™ in the Spanish for ā€˜a yearā€™ :grinning:

1 Like