Lovely buildings in France

It is not a grand structure but I passed it regularly and keep thinking of this brave man The Haute Valley: The Story of Lieutenant Paul Swank — Jack Carbee Blog

THE STORY OF LIEUTENANT PAUL SWANK-US ARMY
D117 winds along the Aude River through impressive hills. Between Alet-les-Bains and Limoux rests the body of Lieutenant Paul Swank, an American soldier killed during Operation Peg in August of 1944. The spot is beautiful and the monument is impressive, but the story is what makes this episode of history remarkable. Ironically, the operation was named in honor of Swank’s fiancé, Peggy Snyder.

Sixteen American soldiers and their equipment parachuted into the hills near Alet-les-Bains in the dead of night on August 11, 1944. They were deployed from Algeria with the mission to disrupt the German supply chain and hamper the retreat. The allies were advancing and the resistance movement was gaining importance; early in the war this area was under control of the Vichy. The planes could not deliver the troops to the desired drop zone because of the height of the mountains and they landed 12 miles from the target near the town of Salvezines. Three were injured in the drop, but the town was well protected by the Maquis (resistance) and they received treatment by residents. Two were able to rejoin the operation.

The next two days were spent familiarizing the Maquis with the weapons that were airlifted along with the Americans. During this time a strategic railroad bridge was destroyed and three stone bridges along route 117 were damaged or destroyed. With news of the American’s arrival the number of resistance fighters grew from 25 to almost 250; weapons were limited and others had to be turned away. One of the goals of the operation was to capture the German supply depot in Couiza. It harbored enough food to sustain thousands of soldiers for weeks and was guarded by over 200 German soldiers. When this fell into the hands of the Maquis, families in the area benefited as the supplies were distributed.

The center of planning for the operation moved to Quillan where lieutenants Swank and Weeks used the local Maquis’ knowledge of the area to finalize the attack. Nine captured Germans provided additional information. On the 16th of August the plans were finalized and the following day it was initiated. Hoping to slow the advance of the German convoy, Lieutenant Swank detonated charges in the hillside above the main route. When he returned to assess the damage to the road, he understood that the ambush was hopeless-the Germans had been alerted and tied Couiza residents including the mayor and the village priest to the roofs of the trucks. Forced to fight under unfavorable conditions and outnumbered by over 200 men, Swank ordered the force to retreat. He covered them, receiving four wounds before falling. From a prone position, he continued to fire until he was shot in the throat. The German commander was quoted, “Never have I seen a soldier fight so gallantly against such overwhelming odds.”

On August 18th the villagers of Alet-les-Bains held a funeral for Lieutenant Swank and he was buried. But the story is much more interesting than that. Villagers in Quillan feared that the Germans would attempt to desecrate Swank’s corpse. A narrow coffin was designed and after a funeral service in the church, he was interred in the family crypt of a local soldier, Joseph Erminy, killed in 1940. The force of Americans continued to fight and joined up with the main force pressing north and east toward Montpelier.

After the war Lt. Swank’s body was returned to Cape Giradeau, MO for burial, but documents revealed that his will stated a desire to be buried where he fell. Cooperation between the French and United States governments resulted in his body being relocated to the place between Limoux and Alet where the crypt and monument now stand. But it wasn’t easy. It took five years of negotiations and the intervention of the American ambassador to France before the final resting place was completed.

Each August 17th the townspeople of Alet-les-Bains hold a memorial service which concludes at the monument. They honor both Lt. Swank and the three Maquis who were killed in the action. Paul’s mother made the trip several times before she became too old and other relatives have participated. In 1994, a woman who had tended Lt. Swank’s body in Alet returned a pen to an American cousin which had been removed from the corpse by a German officer. She had saved it for 50 years.

6 Likes

Frank Gehry’s marvel of curved glass that is the LV Museum in the Bois de Boulogne is magical. The contemporary art collection, a transporting experience in itself, is housed within the glass sails of the building. Light and full of reflections, becoming one with the surrounding Jardin.

:city_sunset::cityscape::night_with_stars::milky_way::bridge_at_night::foggy::national_park::japan::sunrise:

Me Gehry and his team did have terrific difficulties while engineering his vision for curved glass panels, which have never been done before. Possibly never will again because not many have the very deep pockets of LVMH. (We met in HK during the constructio. He is a truly lovely, humble man. Canadian :canada:)

Let’s just hope it doesn’t leak like the Guggenheim in Bilbao

1 Like

Absolutely stunning, such a complex building, yet it doesn’t overwhelm the art inside. However, my favourite Gehry is only almost in France, it’s the Vitra Museum just across the border at Weil am Rhein. The Vitra Design Museum (design-museum.de)

Less keen on Gehry’s tower at Arles and very little to see inside apart from Carsten Höller’s four storey high slide, which is really poorly designed; the joints aren’t flush with the rest of the surface and as you hrutle down at great speed your spine is jarred every two metres.

Frank Gehry unveils stainless steel-clad tower for Luma Arles arts centre (dezeen.com)

1 Like

My favourite has to be:

1 Like

Even though this is the closest to me I have yet to visit. Or, perhaps not.

Gehry really likes to push the envelope in terms if never done before feats of engineering, so I expect some work but less well than hoped. A bit like my brief experiments with a tailor. Still had to pay for the time and material though.
:man_singer:t2:

That has been my thinking since the fire not to replace like for like but put a 21st century stamp on it,.I was disappointed when it was said like for like as for me it was saying we can’t do better ,agree a missed opportunity.

At the risk of being told off for side-tracking the topic but because This thread seems to have captured some architecturally curious SF readers, I would like to speak out for modern architecture.

This piece about the truly groundbreaking and magnificent late Zaha Hadid is inspiring.

I wonder what amazing buildings, made within the last decade that can be found in France.

Been to these two this morning.

2 Likes

I was surprised to find some nice old half-timbered buildings, like this one, in Limoges.

2 Likes

as in so many places… there are often hidden-treasures just waiting to be found

1 Like

Not so much a building, as just a roof, cum parasol, cum umbrella - practical and playful:-

Norman Foster & Partners, Pavillon du Vieux Port de Marseille.

I’m sure many on SF have exerienced Foster and Virlegeux’s Millau viaduct, which is more than ten years old, but still worthy of mention. Wwhether crossing it viewed from a far, it never stops being an astonishing experience - its appeal is an example of what in aesthetics is often described as the ‘technological sublime’.

Of course no photo can successfully convey its grace, height and length.

3 Likes

OH hates heights… so he missed the beauty, as he drove carefully along this bridge with his eyes firmly shut :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes::rofl: :rofl: some years ago…

1 Like

Lively shot if ‘your’ vieux pavillon in this article, and plenty more to explore:

1 Like

Exhausted, not caught up after covid, dumb question (I’m sure I know!). Where is it?

Not sure which one you’re refering to…

Top one’s on the regenerated harbourfront at Marseille - several other wonderful buildings there too.

The viaduct’s on the autoroute from Paris to Montpellier. If you’ve never used it, but have the opportunity, stop for lunch at the aire at the north end of the viaduct. If you’re heading south its a spectacular journey over the bridge and then over the Cevennes before dropping down to cypresses and what I think of as the ‘real’ Midi (officially we’re part of the Midi too, because we’re south of the Massif Central, but I’m always a bit uncomfortable about pressing that claim)

2 Likes

Rue de la Boucherie, some nice restos along there.

2 Likes

Yes the viaduct, thank you. I thought there was another further our way but maybe muddled!

Hope you’re over it soon - too easy to get lost!

Actually, based on personal experience, I’ve long held that one’s natural sense of direction deteriorates when you’re not in the hemisphere in which you grew up or spent most of your life

1 Like

I’m off to bed hut going to ponder on this statement, I actually think there may be something in it. I know it took me a long, long time to feel comfortable not seeing the Southern Cross in the sky!

Lovely buildings don’t need big name architects. Just been to visit Edmond Rostand!s House, Arnaga. While neither house or garden are spectacular in architectural terms the place is lovely, fascinating and full of good things. It’s setting is also superb.

1 Like