Macron addresses the nation 14 juin 2020

What we’re the main covid-19 changes tonight?

His address was much more about rebuilding the economy and preparing for change than details of covid requirements. Quite a bit about the future direction for Europe and franco|allemand joint work. The positive news was confirmation that there will be no tax increases - but I guess that depends on what he calls taxes?

Yes he confirmed what has already been announced about schools etc opening, plus borders (apart from Mayotte) and restaurants and so on. But nothing new in that front that I picked up.

But carefully thought through, well presented and with effort to strike the right note. Included positive stuff about equality and anti-racism (and no toppling statues), and acknowledgement of peoples’ effort.

As a contrast was stark in comparison with the stumbling, shuffling poorly prepared bombastic prime minister of the UK. Not sure he could manage a 20 minute speech without a single ummm or arrr no matter how well prepared and scripted.

9 Likes

@Mat_Davies you asked about covid-19

roughly:
Covid… the page has been turned on the First Act…
Now we enter the Second Act… (in other words… it aint over yet)
It is necessary for everyone to work hard to rebuild lives and the economy… but it is still important to protect those who are in the category of fragile/most at risk … so sanitary regs (as I understand it) will still be necessary in some situations.

where mainland France had some orange… it is all now green…

Basically… from Monday… cross-border EU travel will be possible with those EU countries which have agreed to open their borders… (and not all have agreed…)

(My overall feeling was that … yes… the country can get back into the swing of things… but not chuck out all the precautions… not just yet… )

I’m sure there’ll be a word for word translation very soon… tonight’s Press possibly.

To my mind it was more of a morale boost for the Nation… than a step by step guide to how Act 2 will be played…

3 Likes

Thanks @Stella

Yes, he said he will give another address in July with further details.

Good speech I thought.

I don’t any translation will capture what I felt was passion and honesty. Well worth a listen, IMO he exhibited a greater understanding and love of his Country, its people and it’s future that the charlatan across the channel.

1 Like

I felt much the same.

I would like to see word for word… in French even if not in English (which can change the nuances) … because I think some folk will have heard what they wanted to hear… and will abandon all common sense… :upside_down_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

It ain’t over yet …

Yep… but I reckon we will be hearing something from the PM and/or Health Minister… etc… in the meantime.

It could be an interesting couple of weeks…

Here’s the transcription, scroll below the video link and it is there

1 Like

and we’ve already had Olivier Veran on TV this morning… pointing out that/confirming, whilst the worst of the epidemic is behind us, the fight against coronavirus is not over… the virus is still circulating in France … and we must continue with the barrier methods and restrictions which are currently in force…

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be very difficult to come across as more impressive than Johnson, or indeed, any of the cabinet, but I wonder has Macron really moved on from the president with the worst ratings ever to some latter day superman? How long before the next presidential election? Can France avoid lurching to the right like almost every other European country?

I thought that mantle had been attributed to François Hollande :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe, but I thought Macron had done even better than Hollande.

I think this reflects the position (although needs updating) but counters your suggestion…

with the caveat of course that these polls are often subjective.

1 Like