Made this today, log shelf store thing in steel

Great work James
I’ve got some welding magnets, great for holding smaller things together until you can get a spot or 2 done. I’m crap at welding though, but I did borrow a friends helmet with instantly darkened glass in the visor, made a massive difference.

If you like chopping wood, and are proud of your woodpile, I can recommend this book for a good read!! Flo bought me a copy for Christmas and I couldnt put it down. There is a wealth of detail in it for the log stove owner :slight_smile:

And what you can do with your log pile…

5 Likes

My stepson got me that for Xmas a couple of years ago :grin:. Some of the stacking art is amazing - you wouldn’t want to burn it.

It’s a great book. And the norwegian way of lighting fires works great!

I’m a complete heathen when it comes to lighting ours - chuck some kindling in then reach for my brazing torch - 30-40 seconds and the wood is usually burning well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m happy to use the same method as John Walker and Nancy Blackett.

Whatever works for you is a good method, I suspect :slight_smile:

Never read Swallows and Amazons.

It’s never too late.

Did they rub Titty and Roger together?

1 Like

I have one of those, they are brilliant. Have to remember to turn it on though, got flashed a few times!

Agree with all the positive comments above, the book contains loads of good advice, it’s beautifully produced and bound too, whilst the chapter on woodstacking is inspirational.

My only quibble is that everything to do with seasoning etc is limited to Scandanvian softwood, principally birch. We’ve got a hectare of silver birch, but it’s on the opposite bank of the Lot and about 400 metres up the gorge with no easy access. Nice to look at and very lovely in winter when the white trunks and branches become ghosts in the mist, but I wouldn’t dream of using it for fuel. Any other suggestions will be received gratefully.

OTH, isn’t splitting wood with an axe so satisfying? There’s a Zen-like dimension to it of concentration balanced by relaxation, followed by the perfect swing and then the beautiful sound of a log cleanly splitting with only minimal force. Who needs golf! Anyway, you can’t burn golf balls.

Oh and lastly, James’s log rack the (thread subject after all) looks really good - well done, We’ve a similar one that cost 100€.

2 Likes

100 euros, where did you get that? That thing cost me 50 euros in steel alone, never mind the sweat and third degree burns!

3 Likes

James, console yourself with yours being larger, also it reminds me of Donald Judd’s 1960s minimalist sculpture . There’s many Judd pieces that could double as log racks (albeit rather pricey ones). See what I mean at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=donald+judd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTy9j4gf_fAhXuxoUKHalcBdwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1517&bih=737#imgrc=dN2wNfTXUQlgNM:

Below’s a link to some Juddishy and other contemporary log storage designs that might give some people design inspiration:-

https://www.notreloft.com/11271-range-buches/

1 Like

Thanks Mark, I like his stuff