Made this today, log shelf store thing in steel

8 Likes

very impressive, James…

How long does all that wood last…???

1 Like

Day and a half given it’s cold here right now

1 Like

Minus figures overnight, up to 8 during the day, more if the cloud clears

Looking good. That’s a lovely looking burner.

1 Like

It’s a great looking fire… I can feel the warmth from here… :hugs:

1 Like

A day and a half! That much would do us for three days… stove looks same sort of size, approx 12w? And we’re only getting to 4 or 5 during the day. Is it your only heat source?

Great looking log shelf tho’.

1 Like

Are you saying you are only using four or five logs like that a day?

About 6 actually unless v cold. But the stove only heats our main living area of about 50m2 which stuck on to the back of the house. Elsewhere there is other heating - which broke down over christmas so we had just the stove.

Yes I think about 12 KW, it’s an Invicta Modena. We have some electric radiators too but this thing heats half of the house with a ventilation system that I installed to blow the heat around.

2 Likes

I’m glad I don’t chop your wood!

1 Like

'Tis a masterpiece of precision, James, and with a gammy elbow too! The mind boggles, but it seems you are supremely boggle-free these days! You deserve to be mightily proud of your skill. When did you begin to acquire it and who set you on the path of craftmanship?

We use about the same amount as you do per day-and-a-half, James. Our woodburner gobbles logs like the greedy wood-baby of lore. It only heats half the rdc and a bedroom à l’étage. A bit sends warm tendrils up the staircase, walking down them one feels them reaching up one’s legs - very comforting. :blush:

But we have high celings, no double-glazing and my tropics-born wife dislikes the winter cold. :snowflake::fearful:

1 Like

Thanks! I started learning to weld about a month ago, it’s a very rewarding process. It still amazes me that you can stick metal together so easily!

1 Like

Elbow is fine now by the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only a month. Makes the work even more impressive.

Do you use a frame to hold bits together or cramps (or both)?

This coffee table is the second thing I made, the first being the welding table upon which it stands.

1 Like

Clamps are very useful as the welds shrink as they cool and pull stuff out of true, you spot weld on opposite sides first to minimise the effect.

1 Like

@james "on which it stands, it stands, it stands, it stands, it stands… :thinking:

Looks like the sky’s the limit then! :point_up::roll_eyes::grinning:

1 Like