Making Compost

France sadly doesn’t care! Look in any garden centre and you will find tourbe blonde as an ingredient in most sacks. It is extremely hard to find peat free compost here - which is why we make our own.

Switzerland has banned it’s harvesting, but not sale so continue to import from baltic countries.

And sadly Brexit may actually reverse decades of work to stop commercial plants growers using peat, as plants grown in soil or composted wood can’t be exported! But coir and peat ok as sterile…bloody brexit again.

1 Like

Pain in the proverbial, isn’t it?

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to use instead of peat? The carnivorous plants solution worked well for mosquitos last year and they have self- seeded so I have loads of the little chaps and need to pot them up :thinking: If I succeed and anyone wants one to try, let me know :smiley:

1 Like

Is the coconut coir any good Angela? Seems to be a good renewable sort of thing. Action has it at a good price.

2 Likes

Never tried it @toryroo - if it’s not very fertile, it might work! I’ll have a look locally to see what I can find! Thank you :hugs:

Seems to be possible!

Coir could be a good option. My latest trial is wine corks in a blender…

2 Likes

Golly Jane - it would be an excellent use of wine corks! Any results yet or is it too early?

You can grow saracena using a mix of coir, perlite with a bit of grit for drainage. I used to grow a lot of them but haven’t for a few years, I’ll be starting again later this year all being well, I would be interested to know how you all get on.

1 Like

That’s interesting Debbie. I have one sarracenia plant but an ever increasing number of drosera of various sorts (too delicate for outside but working well as mosquito annihilators :smiley: ) Looks like coir is the way to start with while awaiting Jane’s verdict on minced wine corks…

Are you saying you have been sent unpleasant comments through the messaging system? Because that is what your comment seems to imply? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

In any case, we don’t have ‘mods’ on SF and neither do we ‘tidy up’ threads. SF is an online resource for adults, not Pravda :slight_smile: and I can’t see anything that would breach our T&C and thus need to be removed by James or myself.

I think, @cat, that you meant to post this on another thread or something? I can’t see anything above that might relate to your reply but I’m not firing on all cylinders today…

@AngelaR it was in reply to this!

Oh dear… I’m even more puzzled… I hope I didn’t say anything odd…

Colin. explained why he changed the title, but he seems to have changed that also! :thinking:

Don’t think Angela has said anything. Maybe it’s Colin who has been upset. He was asking about buying peat compost and the replies were pretty much saying “don’t”. Perhaps he’s hurt by our reaction?

For the first time ever we have made beautiful composts - this was since we started using a garden shredder.

1 Like

I’ve used it for indoor plants as a lightweight drainage/aeration type thing. They are all looking happy (well as happy as my indoor plants ever look…). Uses up quite a lot of corks. And real ones not plastic of course!

But since wine corks are bark, and pretty nutrition free, it strikes me that they may be a substitute for peat for carnivorous plants …?

Have you found a good one, @Mat_Davies ? We had one but it certainly wasn’t up to the job - expired very early on :frowning:

Sounds like a good idea to try. I’ll have to drink more wine though :worried:

I’m intrigued Angela, how many do you have? I’m a martyr to mosquitoes and use the plug in thingies (reluctantly) but a mosquito free bedroom just with houseplants would be a very attractive option.

Good idea thanks.
I used to put corks in our compost heap but they’re so slow to rot when we spread the compost it looked like our flower beds were covered in cat/dog turds - not very nice.
I have seen corks spread on flowerpots to keep the sun off of the compost.