Making donations to UK charities and French tax rules

We have been living in France now for a year. We used to give to a number of charities in the UK before we moved. I understand that donating to French charities can be very tax-effective , but what if I want to continue to give to one or two UK charities? Can I declare these on my French tax form and receive a tax deduction, even if not 66%? If so , is there a limit?

Sorry, there is no longer a tax credit for charitable donations to non-EU organisations.

But 50% or 75% credit for EU ones depending on whether humanitarian or general interest.

Maybe find one with similar goals here?

We think the French system is good as we can adjust what we donate to pay very little tax.

I agree with Jane. There is nothing to stop you continuing to give to any UK charity - but any such gift is made entirely outside the framework of the tax system in either the UK or France.

If you do continue to give to UK charities, you need to inform them (usually in a ‘tick box’ on the donations page od their websites) that they can’t use Gift Aid relief to reclaim the tax credit on your donation - unless you actually have UK taxable income, against which you technically ‘deduct’ the donation.

I looked into this issue when moving to France as I’d been led to believe there were some UK charities that had apparently achieved similar legal status in France. None of the charities I supported had done so (and I still don’t know if there are any actual examples) so I do as Jane suggested and support similar charities here in France. We’ve also signed over all our worldly goods in our wills to various French charities, including our Assurance Vies, as it’s highly efficient in tax terms so the charities should benefit to the absolute maximum.

2 Likes

Thank you to both. I rather thought this was the case. I will continue to make some donations in the UK , in the instances where the donations were never eligible for Gift Aid anyway. But the rest will go to the equivalent organizations in France.

Just boosting this up viewing table as it’s the time of year to make charitable donations in France to get the tax credit - if you haven’t already of course!

Lots of great causes that would appreciate it,

Is there a table showing eligible charities Jane?