Manhattan Freesat box problem

For some reason this season it has failed to put its onscreen clock back and there doesn’t seem a way in settings to do it manually. There is just one choice, Paris GMT+1, which is what it should be on now, but stubbornly remains at GMT+2.

Any ideas? Even stranger, we have 2 of these and the other one has the same problem.

Odd, I have one of these but it is in France and we stopped using it when we got a TV with a satellite tuner.

At least both behaving the same makes it unlikely one is broken.

You should be able to change the time zone in setting (you didn’t set a PIN did you? - though the manual doesn’t mention it affecting the time setting).

Even stranger Paul, I have just turned the tv on and the time has now been updated without me doing anything.

Bizarre, 2 and a half days for it (Freesat presumably) to update itself. :roll_eyes:

Your tv with a tuner in it, is that like a built in Freesat box then? Do you plug the dish cable into the tv instead of the box?

In settings it still says Paris GMT+1 though.

My watch took an extra day - but I know reception of the German DCF77 signal is patchy.

Basically, yes - it has a Freesat as well as a conventional digital tuner; annoyingly that turned out to be an either/or choice as you can’t have both active but we have the Orange TV decoder for French TV if we really want to watch it.

It is my understanding that in many consumer electronics devices, including satellite receivers, the onboard software makes use of TZ-DATA from the IANA Timezone Database. Updates to the device are generally either pushed over-the-air, where the receiver is capable of such update, or else via an internet connection to which the receiver is connected. These updates can sometimes take a couple of days to filter down, or require a restart of the device in order to be loaded into the device’s memory.

Certainly some will behave as described but the algorithm for determining the date DST finishes has been fixed and harmonised in the EU for some time so it would not need a periodic update to land before knowing when to switch.

Interesting, but I don’t remember such a lag before. Perhaps I didn’t look at it 'till now.

17 months later and it happened again. But this time after it changed to the right time after a day or so it then changed back to the old time before finally righting itself a couple of days later.

All well and good, I thought. But then channel 102, BBC 2, disappeared from view on the EPG and as a result the Gaelic version of BBC Scotland shunted in, a channel which I had long since deleted becase I don’t speak the language and preferred both BBC Scotland and BBC 4, both of which I use, to be on the same screen.

This has happened before, a long time ago, and I can’t remember how I got it back, probably by re-booting, but that doesn’t work this time. This doesn’t deny me BBC 2 but it is inconvenient to keep shunting 2 screens up to find 968 in order to plan my day. BBC Wales and all the other regional choices are no good as they don’t always show the same programmes.

Any ideas?

There was a rearrangement of the channels when BBC Three became available on satellite again earlier this year (and the channels will depend on your postcode). This is the complete list List of channels on Freesat (UK) – TVCL – TV Channel Lists

You may need to update Freesat channels on your Manhattan?
To update straight away, press MENU and select: Settings > System > Check for update now .

There is no ‘settings’ option on my menu Elsie. I do have a ‘system’ option though in the ‘setup’ option in Menu, but no ‘Check for update now’ option.

There is an ‘OAD software update’ though, which is set to ‘On’. Also an option to ‘OAD software manual scan’.

Also there is ‘Restore factory default’.

Try re-scanning the channels.

I know nothing about Mahattan boxes and you don’t mention which particular model you have. That suggestion as the way to scan for channel updates was from a Manhattan page on the internet.

You will need to check your manual to see how to do an update of the channels as that method doesn’t work.

OK, I’ll do that, just thought that someone might have first hand experience of the problem. :smiley:

engineering solution @David_Spardo - hit it wi’ammer :grin:
but I don’t recommend doing what a client did some time ago when I told him to reboot his computer… he drop-kicked it over the roof of his house :slightly_smiling_face:

On the Manhattan box, have received a fat discount offer from Amazon.

Am I right in thinking the Manhattan 3R will always connect to wifi and cable and Ethernet, but never to satellite?

And will the Manhattan XS connect only to satellite?

Am tbinking the 3R will make most sense, as more versatile as I can potentiaily rustle up a wifi connection most places I go.

And there’s no hint of a 4R yet? So would I be ok for a while before the 3R is superseded?

Looks like the 3R won’t cost me more than £110-£120 net provided I order by tomorrow

That’s an odd way of looking at it. The 3R is a Freeview box for use in the UK via an Ariel. It has catch up Via internet but you need a VPN probably at the router for it to actually work in France. If you’ve a smart TV it adds nothing … To be honest I’d use a firestick if you want catch up - installing a VPN is possible on the firestick quite easily I think.

Thinking of putting it on wifi with VPN initially. Works with iplayer etc well now to pc , but I would like the Manhattan interface, overviews, recording abilities etc.

The one thing I can’t have is an aerial here (nor actually, in UK) - in order I have wifi now, then poss sat, and never via aerial. And I want catchup not live, hardly ever live.

I think you should look at a Firestick or Kodi box - possibly Chromecast. They are designed for what you want - and cheaper. Just seems odd to use a Freeview box that costs more to do less than a firestick can do. If you have an Amazon issue Kodi boxes can be as simple as basic UK catch up or a world of dodgy streams and global telly - but the box does what you want. I found Kodi fiddly but it’s very popular

Thanks, looked at the Amazon Firestick a while back. But didn’t feel it would do all I would like to have. In fact I’m sure I"ve got a pre-4k Firestick lying around somewhere. And even an old Now TV box as well! I did like the Humax though but it probably needed replacing with a newer version as it was very old when it failed. I now have trees which have grown onto the satellite path so it would have to be repositioned.

Kodi is what I would have gone for 5 or 6 years ago when I was contracting. Weeks away with long evenings to mess around. But kodi was castrated when tbe weight of illegal activity finally caused clampdowns I gather. And I spend enough time on SF and one other place I simply don’t have time for a community for keeping up to date with twists and turns and tricks on kodi as well. I need a way of accessing TV that is standard but capable and flexible out of the box with the UK content I need.

I can use each channel’s app or website now one by one on pc or phone. But it’s fiddly. Ease of use and the interface to access the UK-based set of programs I want to catchup, record and very occasionally watch live seems to be nicely packaged with the Manhattan. Even just the amount of programs it can record and store, plus the fact that it could get live TV if needed,

Thank you, I will think about whether an opportunity to grab the most versatile Manhattan box for £104 or so new is too good to be missed or whether I want to dig around for the Firestick and take another look.