March 3rd 2020: Change of driver’s license to French: new process

I am going to have to because

And I thought I had been so careful and law-abiding.
I did Monbaz to Freiburg in seven and a half hours.

1 Like

If it’s only one point then you won’t have to.

1 Like

Not the case, Tim.

I still have a paper licence, that I tried to change for a credit card type before leaving UK in 2002…I spent hours on the phone every day…never managed to speak to anyone;as a result, I’ll be trying as of today to get a French one.

good luck Bob… let us know how it works out, please… :wink:

That used to be the case pre Brexit.
Then there was this update

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/Le-ministere-de-l-Interieur-se-prepare-au-Brexit/Permis-de-conduire
Avec accord de retrait

L’accord de retrait ne contient aucune disposition sur le permis de conduire. Il prévoit néanmoins une période de transition.

Pendant la période de transition, les règles européennes continuent à s’appliquer en France et au Royaume-Uni : il n’y aura pas de conséquence sur les permis de conduire.

Après la période de transition, trois cas méritent d’être distingués selon que vous circulez en France en qualité de touriste ou de résident :

Si vous résidez en France, des dispositions spécifiques et réciproques préciseront ultérieurement les modalités d’échange pour les titulaires d’un permis britannique résidant en France
Si vous êtes touriste en France, vous pouvez conduire pendant la durée de votre séjour avec votre permis de conduire obtenu par examen au Royaume-Uni. Le permis de conduire international n’est pas nécessaire si vous êtes en possession de la traduction de votre permis de conduire
Si vous comptez vous installer en France, après la période de transition, votre permis de conduire britannique est reconnu sur le territoire français pendant le délai d’un an, mais vous devrez en solliciter l’échange dans ce délai
*Si vous résidez en France, des dispositions spécifiques et réciproques préciseront ultérieurement les modalités d’échange pour les titulaires d’un permis britannique résidant en France

Has there been another update since?

Hi Anna… your link is talking about “preparing for Brexit” … “with” or “without” agreement… so I reckon it must be out of date… :crazy_face:

Here is a page dated 3rd March 2020, which include royaume uni in the list of Etat Européen …

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1758

Is there a link Stella?
If not, I risk stabbing around on the interweb for the next week or so

What link are you looking for, Bob…?? click onto the service publique link in my post above, then open the section about how to apply…

You can see the list of documents you will need…

then click on the ANTS bit… hit the big button “acceder au service en ligne” … good luck…

Sorry I didn’t see your post in full Stella… I’m posting from my phone

No probs, Bob… but I suggest you wait until you are on something with a bigger screen before doing the Permit thingy… :wink:

1 Like

Don’t understand the relevance to Vero’s speeding infraction Mark.

Mark was answering your comment about Andy’s licence…

Thanks Stella.

If the goalposts regarding driving licences have changed yet again since the Withdrawal Agreement and the opening of the new internet site I suggest you look here

They really are up to date with the latest position.

1 Like

I don’t see that goalposts have changed, Dan… I think (perhaps) there is almost too much info online and it can become quite confusing as folk jump from one site to another…

The “ANTS” insistance (not an option) was heralded by the French Govt a few weeks ago, with its “opening date” given as 3rd March 2020… and so it is up and running right now… yippee.

(yes, the facebook page will possibly be of assistance to anyone who has language difficulties or cannot use a computer ?? … although it should be remembered that the Mairies etc provide computer access and assistance when folk need to demand essential documents such as driving licences etc)

Please accept my post for what it was, a genuine suggestion. It is a sure way to cut through the confusion. Kim who runs the site is really on the ball and up to date. Anna’s post this morning was confusing because it was impossible to find a date for the publication. All I’m saying is, if you want a definitive up to date answer that FB page is the place to go.
Other people might prefer to go around and around in circles following what less well informed people or out of date internet pages say. Why take the risk?
PS I started my previous post with the word if; on purpose.

1 Like

Dan, we are all trying to help… all suggestions gratefully received…

Everyone will have their preferences on how to go about things.

2 Likes

Personally I have to say that I find directing readers to other social media pages quite irritating as it is not terribly helpful. Official sources, links, sites etc, brilliant. Other information, not so much so. It’s also quite rude.

2 Likes

Well after faffing a few minutes, I’m now confronted with the statement that suggests I have a “titre de séjour”…which, of course, I don’t…yet
I’m stuck