Married and moving to France

Hi there, my husband has a German passport and after 5 years in the USA, is looking to return to Europe to work for his current company in Paris. I am a US citizen and wondering:

• what type of Visa I’d need to live and work there? if my husband already has an EU passport, do I need to show his work contract at any time?
  • could I apply for this before I move?
  • if anyone has done this, what kind of processing times I should expect?

TIA - feeling a little overwhelmed by all the info out there.

As an EU national he needs no visa, but will need to make sure his employer will sort out his healthcare straight away.

You will need to get a spousal visa for EU citizen, And may need to start with a short stay visa that you can apply for before arrival, but depends on circumstances. Unless his employer is providing family cover you will need private health insurance to start with.

Unfortunately the French Gov’t visa wizard is not working today (or not for me!), but try it later

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/family-of-european-national

From there you can get the official information you need,

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s correct. As the spouse of an non-French EU national she can come to France with her husband and apply for a carte de séjour within 3 months of arrival.

1 Like

Depends on specific circumstances, which the visa wizard sets out when it is functional. But yes the main EU spouse visa you apply for once here.