Massive power outage in UK

We lost about 2% of our generating capacity (Hornsea is 1.2GW and Little Barford 740MW out of a total of 90GW approx) and the South East was plunged into darkness.

OK it was probably more than 2% of the actual in-use generating capacity at the time and it was sudden and unplanned - apparently Drax was down on output as well which exacerbated the problem but it is sobering how fragile the system seems to be.

In context we lost about the same amount as the UK-France power link can supply.

2 Likes

Darkness on the face of the earth, and Stella walks into a plague of locusts, there are sombre signs of an impending recession…“things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world; the blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned: the best lack all conviction, and the worst are full of passionate intensity…”

Things are turning rancid for Johnson… I heard it said today on Sky that 70% of women can’t bear the sight of him, and his I-Speak-Your-Weight cabinet colleagues look and sound like low-budget zombies/not-Duracell Bunnies already!

Do I hear the sound of the cavalry thundering over the hill…? :grinning::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes: