Meaningless/Inane expressions

On R4 just now, listening to ‘educated’ people explaining something, frequently using the phrase, “You Know”.
No, we don’t know, you’re telling/enlightening us, thats why we are listening, ‘because we don’t know’! :wink:

2 Likes

Come on Bill… you know, you know… :sweat_smile:

How do you make a cup of tea?

So, you put the kettle on to boil some water…

How do you change a bicycle wheel?

So, you turn the bike upside down…

What’s the weather like in your neck of the woods?

So, the sun is shining, the sky is blue…

1 Like

? ? ? ? ? :thinking:

Not quite wott I meant, ‘You Know’, Stella! :rofl:

Ref Meaningless and inane expressions, Bill?

So, haven’t you noticed, Bill, how recently every clever young thing starts a sentence with the wholly redundant interjection “So…”?

So, it’s a new modish verbal tic, in the same class as “y’know”, “d’y’knowwhatimean?”, “I’m like yes and she’s like dunno, so I’m like whaddyamean, and she’s like shutyerface”. These things buzz around life flies round bad meat… rather irritating and highly infectious.

So, another gruesome innovation is when a radio or TV interviewer greets an interviewee with “Thanks very much indeed for coming on the show”, to which the standard a*rse-licking response has now emerged “Thanks for having me!”. Thanks for HAVING me?!! :thinking::scream::flushed::fearful::zipper_mouth_face:

Great, thanks Peter, good to have a like minded and unlike myself, erudite, ear to express a similar view. :wink: :+1:

I have to confess I’m using a lot “tu vois !”, in french. At least I’m conscious of it and try to avoid it, but it is so hard !!!

3 Likes

Uh, it’s like, umm, y’know, ah, verbal fillers innit?

Or do you mean more complex but, at the end of the day, over-used clichés and redundant words. I, personally, myself, think that, when all is said and done, these can be just as annoying.

:slight_smile:

I do enjoy when people start a sentence with “To be honest”… Which suggests all other sentences they spout are not honest and therefore complete lies!

1 Like

My ex-husband used to say that a lot, it always heralded a particularly enormous lie. Mind you you could always tell when he was lying, because his lips moved.

4 Likes

Was he a politician? It sounds as though he was eminently qualified.

I know someone who says that! He says it after every sentence :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I don’t say it if I say “vous” to somebody, because I can’t say “tu vois” and “vous voyez” won’t come naturaly !

I hear that a lot, usually because of the blank expression on my face when I am trying to work out what someone is saying :smile:

2 Likes

:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

No idea how to spell them since I only use in speech, but I seem to have picked up “machin”, “di don” and “bon ban” according to OH who says I use them too much…

1 Like

When our daughters were invitedto parties they were taught to say, thank you for inviting me, I’ve had a lovely time.

Another one is Brexit is the will of the people.

1 Like

:rofl: :+1: