Mechanics in France

I’ve had my Nissan note for over 12 years now, and until now has never had problems passing it’s MOT. With over 250 000 km on the clock, I expected some work would be needed this time but didn’t expect to face writing off a perfectly sound car for a couple of bits of rubber! Now, I’m not a mechanic, and it’s a french MOT, and the problem is ‘les silents blocks sur le berceau’. Something to do with the mounting between the engine and the car body. I’m certain an english mechanic could describe this better.! Nissan cant (or dont want to) find the pieces (perhaps obsolete after 12 years??) and Im stuck for ideas. As a starter it would be great if a knowledgable engineer could explain in proper english garage language what my problem is and even better provide a schema and a source for these pesky rubber bits!

Is this a Nissan dealer? You might have more success at a local garage who will happily fit aftermarket parts rather than a dealer who can only fit official parts.

1 Like

Thanks for yout input John, I am currently trying that but since the ‘silent blocs’ dont have a part number (they are sold as part of the assembly by nissan) its difficult to know if its the right piece or not. Hence my post!

Simple - The engine needs to be secured to the chassis of the car. The engine is usually steel and the chassis (body of the car) also steel. It is not good for the engine and the chassis to directly to be in contact with each other for the reason mentioned - steel to steel. Vibrations and the fact that there should be some movement allowance between the engine and the body of the car. It would not be good if it was a rigid fixture because of the vibrations caused by the engine and the torque of the engine, it tries to rotate to some degree when being run. So the ‘engine mountings’ are usually some form of very hard rubber (although now it could also be Silicone) that allows for some damping between the engine and the chassis of the car. Over the years these mounting lose their flexibility and can perish to the extent that it ends up being steel to steel. The engine could even become loose on its mountings and unsafe. It is not a difficult job to replace the mountings.

NISSAN NOTE 09.2012 ENGINE & TRANSMISSION MOUNTING

Similar to a noter but it should give you a good idea…

2 Likes

Nissan are renown for bullshit when it comes to car parts. Nissan Limoges once told me I needed a new transfer box for my (then) Navara because the actuator had failed and the actuator wasn’t available separately. Absolute bollocks, and that wasn’t even the problem, it was a broken wire, found by a “proper” mechanic.

2 Likes

Someone with better French than me would need to confirm but I would tend to agree with @gregca that it’s engine mounts and a quick Google shows that complete assemblies are available quite cheaply.

UK parts on line to give you an idea
https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalog/engine-mounting-bracket-10638/nissan/note
or
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/engine-mounting-bracket-10638/nissan/note/note-e12/58980-1-2

And once you know and can understand what you require use the reference number to find the equivalent on the French site

https://www.auto-doc.fr/pieces-detachees/suspension-du-moteur-10638/nissan/note

This is what I have done for many years when sourcing my car parts

2 Likes

I totally agree with gregca.

All these parts are readily available at autodoc.fr and several other sites.
Silent blocs are not particularly expensive and can be fitted by any competent mechanic usually within a couple of hours unless the bolts shear (which they shouldn’t on a fairly new car) in which case it would take a little longer.

Avoid dealer mechanics like the plague…always use an independent general mechanic. Find a good one and build a relationship.

3 Likes

They are not called Main Stealers for nothing

5 Likes

Hi Gregca
Feels like i’m spinning!
Ive found one garage thats trying to help but i still feel like i’m missing something or losing something between the english and the french. (I’ve been here 24 years, and i’m not short on french neither)
If your control techniques says Defaillance majeure 6.1.1.e.2 Etat general du chassis, mauvaise fixation du berceau AVD, AVG, do you have any idea which bits we are talking about??

6.1.1.e.2. ÉTAT GÉNÉRAL DU CHÂSSIS Mauvaise fixation du berceau

In the “general state of the chassis”… there’s a bad fixing of the subframe.

Front Right and Front Left subframe fixings need replacing, in your vehicle… which a mechanic should be able to confirm for you… good luck… hope you can get the work done.

As a Major Defect, I believe you have 2 months to get this corrected and retested (is that right… ??)

2 Likes

This link any use ?

Thanks Stella, What you say is correct - contre visite within two months.
However, I have found an astuce (yet to be tested i add). Since Nissan do not have the parts and I can’t find a garage with a solution for me, (or perhaps they prefer more lucrative jobs! ), i can retake a full controle technique before the date limite on my contre visite, pay my 75€ and walk away with an extra two months! (putting aside the obvious safety and wear and tear aspects)

For specific help as you wont be the only person with this issue I am sure. Try the Nissan Note forum.

https://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/

1 Like

Must confess I have no experience of doing that… but if your CT man confirms it will be OK then that does give you time to find a mechanic and the bits you need…

However, sooner rather than later… :wink: :wink:

Of course, another CT person might have a different view.

1 Like

I was thinking that it might be an immediate “off the road” decision, if the car is tested a second-time and still has the problem…

I can’t ask my local CT man (who really is a top man in this field)… but will ask him after this week’s holiday-break.

Exactly John, whilst its unlikely a different centre will give a different opinion (as you have to present the latest CT) it doesnt harm to have confirmation of the diagnosis!

Yes very useful, rice pudding!

Try scrapyard.We keep our old bangers going on Pieces détaché