Medical Insurance/Cover

and why should the French save you money?

came to france at 40 never heard the word glad there is a definition for it.

in the usa we say english speaker dont have to be anglo

The majority of people on this site are not trying to cheat, they are trying to save money by not paying the most expensive option. There are many people in this world not made of money who need to do that. It has nothing to do with cheating, please drop those insinuations!

you need to cool the jets, and READ before you write. I mentioned above that I DO, in fact, pay insurance.

we all need to pay insurance if you move to avoid it thats sad but if you move for work or climate thats understandable. or just to avoid thee mum

Chris, i honestly don't mind what exists in the USA or not, as I do not and never have lived there.

Thank you Zoe - think Chris is on a wind up. Many of my friends from the USA curse US insurance policies for much the same reasons. Chris, stop trying to be superior because you come from the wrong side of the Atlantic, have a nice day!

ANGLOPHONE, does not exist in the USA we say English Speakers, you dont need to be Anglo to speak English.

Chris, it is insurance companies who cheat the system. Even on reading all the fine print, there is always a clause in there somewhere saying they can't cover you. I know a lady who fell down a flight of stairs in a carpark, and could not have her hospital fees covered, because apparently she didn't use the handrail. I know someone who took special extreme sports insurance, yet, when paralysed in a diving accident, was told he was not covered because even though snorkelling is covered, diving with bottles is "unnaturally assisted", and therefore not covered.

I haven't ever had a bad injury, or accident as such, but can tell you that my insurance company wouldn't cover a stolen camera that was left in myy locked hotel room, because they say it "was not on your person at the time of theft", same insurance company stated that in the event of lost or delayed luggage, they would cover the cost of things needed (underwear, sunblock,medications,shower gel etc), yet when I was stranded in Vanuatu with no bags, all they could tell me is "we can contact your family and have them wire you some money". I bought insurance so that i wouldn't have to go calling my damn mother in a crisis. That's what lazy people do.

Chris: A) you are a long way off topic, and B)bullshitting, good American:

The definition of 'anglophone' in Yankeedoodledadagaga is:

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

n. An English-speaking person, especially one in a country where two or more languages are spoken.

Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

n. A person who speaks the English language.

Wiktionary

n. One who speaks English.
adj. English-speaking

the word anglophone does not exist in the usa, it is a spanish word for white peole and phone is telephone

in the usa i have never used the word anglophone

the word does not exist in the usa

in the usa it would mean basically calling or telephoning a white boss by a spanish person

In clearer words than my bit above yours, yep!

From what I recall of anglophone insurance, you pay the premium, you have an accident, they find a loophole that saves them having to pay out, you bear the cost, and your premium goes up, because you're now seen as risky.

In France, you pay, you have a problem, you go medical, you give your details, and the re-imbursement is in the bank before you've had time to worry about it all.

It is a good point Zoe. People are trying to save money by buying into the parts of the UK insurance industry that will pay out. Yet, I imagine that most of them know just how bloody minded UK companies are and how hard it is to get full payouts without sweating blood and how, also, if you make a claim the premium goes up and when it is a multiple claim they'll skin you alive with their premiums. Here you pay what you pay, unless it really is clear that the insured is/are skinning the insurance company they do not put it up. They are clear what they cover and do not cover and if we pay enough then we can get just about everything covered. So it is expensive, but it works. All the time it is cheap using UK insurers just look over a shoulder if things get bad health wise, it helps to know they are not yet on your back.

For all of that, when it works it knocks spots of the UK welfare state at its best as well. It costs, but when it is needed pays back far more without delays, excuses, etc.

Most people are suggesting UK based insurance, but, if you're going to live in France, surely it would be better to have French insurance?

I know that when you start work, your employer has to offer you a mutuelle option. That, you can either keep, or stop when you change workplace, or retire. At the moment I have two running, because I work two different hotels, both summer and winter season, but I pay into both, because.... you never know. If one doesn't cover something, the other will.

I've got HCR Santé, www.gpam.fr they have different packages available, and possibly an office in your area, and someone to discuss the options with. The other company... I will look for info, I have no idea where other half ranges things like this, lol.

I am learning from this link is that ONE the French are not dumb, they know a cheater, and TWO insurance costs a lot of money, is very expensive and the hosptial will get that money either by insurance payment or various means. So, do we want to pay up honestly or be sneaky.

For a family we are talkinga bout 500 euro a month.

If you are poor there are systems for that.

Helen: I'll second the CMU bit.

Lucy: In principle the letter from the CM should be enough although they may ask for some kind of payments statement as well.

Thank you Helen. So in fact if I get the same type of letter from the Caisse de Maladie in Luxembourg and prove the rest, we should be good. This seems to be the best option so far. That way, we can then "opt-in" when I return to work. Honestly, I can not thank you enough !!

Lucy