Medical needed for French Permis

I’m in the process of changing my uk licence for a French one and have been sent an email demanding that I get a medical done to prove I can drive. Anyone else had this? I’m 58 and don’t feel that decrepit yet! Also, of course this can only be done at approved doctors, none of whom are anywhere near here :slightly_frowning_face: Also, also, if I want to keep my HGV category on my licence, I have to have another one! :nerd_face:

All the details regarding medicals can be found here.

1 Like

David…

How far into the process are you… and… are you certain that the email is not an attempt to get you to pay for an unnecessary Medical Test…

I have no idea about your personal situation… but, for folk in general… such a request would seem to be an error…IMO… :thinking:

Just consider your application: … is there anything about you which might give someone pause for thought… might you have filled-in a section incorrectly, giving the idea that there is a need for a medical…

I’m clutching at straws… trying to help…

Medical tests sound like a good idea to me for anyone getting a driving licence no matter what their age is.

1 Like

Hello Stella. I’m hoping that I’ve not understood the email correctly. This is the email…

Bonjour,

Votre dossier a été transmis au CERT de NANTES dans le cadre de votre demande d'échange de permis de conduire .
                            L'examen de votre dossier révèle que ce dernier est incomplet. 

Afin de procéder à l'instruction de votre demande, je vous remercie bien vouloir me transmettre par courriel, dans un délai d'un mois, les pièces manquantes suivantes :    

->  Avis médical suite à une visite à effectuer chez un médecin de votre département de résidence agréé pour le contrôle médical de l’aptitude à la conduite (liste téléchargeable sur le site internet de votre préfecture).
                        -> En cas de catégories du groupe lourd (C, D) :

* Si vous souhaitez les conserver : avis médical suite à une visite à effectuer chez un médecin de votre département de résidence agréé pour le contrôle médical de l’aptitude à la conduite (liste téléchargeable sur le site internet de votre préfecture).

* Dans le cas contraire, merci de le préciser ci -dessous :

Je soussigné(e) Mr Mme ………….………..……..

renonce aux catégories suivantes (préciser)  :

Date :                                          Signature :

En l'absence de réponse de votre part dans les délais impartis, votre demande ne ser...........

I’m hoping that they mean I need a medical ONLY if I want to keep the ‘groupe lourd’ category on my new licence. I definitely didn’t give them any reason to think I’m not capable of driving any more :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m hoping that they mean I need a medical ONLY if I want to keep the ‘groupe lourd’ category on my new licence.

That is exactly it :relaxed: you need to tell them you are renouncing the hgv entitlement though, if you have it.

Hello Véronique, yes I was hoping that is what they meant. I’ve asked them to clarify it anyway.

Phew, David… I think you/we may have cracked it…

Please let us know how it all works out… :hugs:

I’ve just been sent a document that shows that my licence is being dealt with. I have to keep this and show it to any perplexed gendarmes, for example. No idea how long it will be until I get the actual licence. Still, it means I didn’t need a medical to continue with the application.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost of a group C fitness to drive medical examination. Also, how long is it valid for?
I have a vehicle that is plated with a max gross train weight in excess of 3.5t, and am looking around at tractirs, they too will be in excess of that figure.
I have only been waiting 5 months for a response to my license request, it is early days yet😆 I would like to keep those entitlements, at 55 I will need the medical so may need to start planning ahead.

I paid 33€ for a medical about 4 years ago. It’s really quick. Very basic sight test, blood pressure check and a few questions. Took me longer to write the cheque! I think I was in there less than 10 minutes. You do need an approved doctor though so get a list from the Prefecture/Mairie.

Since may 2017 the cost is now 36€

@anon92567933, @David_Gander,
Thanks, that is not too expensive, when it cones to it I will try to keep my entitlements. Once they are gone it will be hard to get them back…

That’s why I decided to keep them as well. Just got back to the UK and exchanged my French licence back to a UK one with all the categories in place. Quick and easy.

1 Like

Standard practive all over mainland Europe. Suck it up or forfeit your HGV like i did.