Message to all second home owners currently in France

I’ve just been shopping after the long weekend. What a lot of UK registered cars there were in the car park.

1 Like

Many Brits residents here haven’t re-registered their vehicles.

It does not follow that there is no insurance if there is no MOT.

BTW Don’t come out with that old chestnut about not having an MOT somehow invalidating your insurance. It does not.

Well the last time I had UK car insurance, which admittedly was quite a few years back, there was a specific clause to that effect in the insurance document.

I’ve had UK car insurance on & off for more than 45 years & there has never been such a clause in any insurance contract that I have had. I just took a look at my two current policies & neither of those mention an MOT. There is of course entirely separate from the issue of the MOT a legal obligation to maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition & the insurance company won’t pay out your claim if eg the vehicle had dodgy brakes that caused an accident.

I tend to recognise the long standing local UK registered cars, these were not those.

Certainly not a blanket ban anyway as you can drive a car without a current MOT to a testing station quite legally (but not without insurance).

However I found this on the Direct Line site - it is talking about business insurance so it might differ from insurance for private motoring but it says

You’d think an insurance company would know what they are talking about (but we all know, any excuse not to pay a claim…)

2 Likes

The issue about keeping UK car insurance when you move to France is that most if not all UK insurance companies limit cover to UK residents. In signing the contract the policyholder is confirming that they are resident in the UK. It’s in the small print, where it also tells you that failing to disclose a material fact, such as the fact that you no longer live at the address on the policy nor indeed in the UK, is grounds for invalidating your policy.
In practice, if there was a claim and the insurer twigged that the policyholder was non resident, they would likely pay out for damage or injury to third party costs and then try to recover the costs from the policyholder.

3 Likes

So what are you suggesting David, these are second home owners who’ve either just arrived or are sitting out the confinement here?

Many French insurers are willing to insure UK reg’d cars rightly or wrongly.

Not as many as used to. Most set a time limit on it now.
But probably in Charente there is a good market…

Same here in 17.

I saw a brilliant example of a piss taking Brit on Thursday, his car was a 19 plate so very new and instead of UK or GB after the reg he’d got 17 denoting our department, can only assume he’d had the plate made in the UK or bought it on-line.

The latter.

I was made unwelcome in this group a long time ago, Which is why I rarely comment now.

1 Like

Like I said.

I read this yesterday and thought what a daft comment - BUT - having just been shopping this morning I noticed 2 brand new GB cars - a Audi Q7 and a Range Rover, they looked so out of place and raises my suspicion (without any grounds really) that they have just come over.

Are we all becoming a little paranoid?

1 Like

I posted my comment because the cars I saw looked so out of place. Not so daft after all on a thread about advice for second home owners.

2 Likes

I didn’t agree at the time but do now.

1 Like

Been here since Jan 20 have a 69 plate motorhome does that make me a P*** as well. Nice when people presume??

1 Like

Well I presume you have chosen to ignore the advice from the British Embassy and I presume you have good health insurance .