Met criticised over Clapham vigil policing

I’m thinking this may be the last straw for Dick, and that only a new Commissioner could be credible enough to make the necessary changes.

To suggest that women “challenge” police officers, or shout for help, etc, shows how woefully out of touch the Met is.

1 Like

I imagine Dick will go. However, I also think that will be a distraction from the real problem - which is a sick organisational culture. This is something that is very hard to change - I worked on it a lot in my professional life. Organisational culture is built not only into systems, custom and practice, but into staff: particular kinds of people appoint and then promote others like themselves. Organisational cultures perpetuate over years, decades, and disappear from the purview of people inside the organisation - they cease to be aware that they even have a particular culture.

2 Likes

She has just had her contract extended for another two years.

She must have an entire shipping container full of Kompromat by now, so far too dangerous for the Met to throw her under the bus for this.

2 Likes

She was Teflon when she had a Brazilian electrician executed. She was Teflon when Islamic nutters on MI5/SB watch lists ran riot across London. She’ll be Teflon during and after this.

1 Like

Interesting development of police ‘institutional’ failings:

I was horrified when I read about this case in The Guardian this morning - but this first-hand account by the victim herself is sooo much more powerful:

(They clearly picked on the wrong woman - she is a professor of philosophy - the analysis towards the end drawing on Adorno and Fanon is great - but one wonders therefore how many other similar but less educated victims have gone unheard.)

£6k?
Which presumably was much less, as for the 7-8 years or so this compensation amount would only have been reached by the addition of 8% statutory interest for each intervening year, compounded.

Sounds like it was really not much over £3k.
I’d go back for more

1 Like

Yes - should be 6 figures, shouldn’t it?
But as she points out, she had to fight the whole policing and legal system to get anything - basically, they beat her up then (eventually) apologised for using bad language!
But perhaps most shocking of all is the very extreme sexism revealed - comments on her body hair, etc. Where do the police dig up recruits like that?

1 Like

The 1970’s?

The met is well known for corruption, sexism and racism - if you are not bent, misogynistic and racist when you join, then the culture will ensure that you will quickly acquire these traits, indeed probably need to acquire them to have any chance of promotion.

Cynique, moi?

3 Likes

Nah, you need to be female and a wearer of sensible shoes to advance beyond sergeant in the Met theses days.

You have to have that type of shoe, surely, with all those suspects insisting on head-butting your feet?

1 Like

The sensible shoes are worn off duty as well.

On police recruitment and culture the victim/writer refers to Adorno’s work on the authoritarian personality. Adorno should know - he was a German jew who managed to get out from under the Nazis in time.

Characteristics included “preoccupation with the dominance-submission, strong-weak, leader-follower dimension, identification with the power-figures”; “disposition to think in rigid categories”; “disposition to believe that wild and dangerous things go on in the world”; “opposition to […] the imaginative, the tender-minded’; and “exaggerated concern with sexual ‘goings on’”.

You’re not just talking about the shoes, are you?

1 Like

He is. I’m adding ‘foot fetish’ to my list of notes about @NotALot. Like SFN’s own Quagmire. I have a few notes on everyone, particularly since we stopped using real names it makes identifying everyone a little easier to make a few notes on them. I didn’t know this piece of information till this evening though. :foot: :mans_shoe: :high_heel: :athletic_shoe:

Think beyond the shoes. I took them as shorthand.

Quite :roll_eyes:. Rather reductive.