Microstation d'epuration

If he is still working today he must be getting on a bit.

1 Like

The sewers you trolley :wink: :grinning: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies Paul…rather flippant…time for bed.

1 Like

We have a much newer house but we took a battering yesterday with a big pool of water in the lounge…!!

Was this pool of water caused by your microstation Gillian?

I like this answer on both counts!

Tenuous fact
A decendant of Bazalgette was in charge of the Big Brother programme. So one got rid of the sh1t from London and another brought it back again!

2 Likes

A Bazalgette was involved in one of those Carol Smillie-based programs, “Changing Rooms” or some such…
Seems they have an everlasting connection with shit.

There’s probably a lot of them - according to the Wikipedia article he had 11 kids (poor wife!).

Peter Bazalgette and Edward Bazalgette seem to be the TV/media types.

I prefer this approach to getting rid of shit…

2 Likes

I saw Blaster at Fairfield halls shortly before he left us. Still a great entertainer and I have 3 of his records.

1 Like

We have just had a ‘Bionut 2’ system installed fir our brewery. It is a pair of vessels joined together, the first is a seotic tank, the second a filtration bed using hazelnut husks as filtration media. Although SPANC are not responsible fir business waste, they did get involved in the project - after a lot of prodding. The system is NF approved and requires a soakaway to run off into.
We had initially been looking at micro-stations but realised that they do require a constant trickle of effluent. We were warned not to let it sit even for a couple of weeks without something going into it.
A 4/5 “equivent habitition” system came in at under €9000, fitted. It required a roighly 3mx3mx2m hole , a ditch for the drainwaters and a soakaway trench. All were then backfilled.
M. SPANC dropped in from time to time to inspect, this was the first he had seen. That doubled the time it took to install to 10 days in all; our donkeys were in fear of him talking their hind legs off :wink:

That is interesting Martin and thank you for the info.
One questions please…on what scale is the soakaway ( m2 or length etc) and is it a system of filtration pipes or something other?
Thanks

For my micro station the installer took it to the nearest ditch which was about 20 meters away.

Handy to know Peter…we likewise have a ditch at the end of the property.

Damian, it is a single length of soakaway tubing ~120mm diameter, the sort with radial cuts in the sides. IIRC, there were 2 3m lengths. When I get the final invoice I will look to see if it is mentioned.
It was buried in 4/6 gravel, the last bucket load available in our neck of the woods it seems. The supplier that has this the area in his grasp has switched to 6/8, which is more expensive and more profitable. At least, according to our local terrassement man.
Intrestingly, M. SPANC wanted an inpection point at the start of the the soakaway pipe work. M. Terrassement argued, successfully, that the inspection point should be at the start of the filtration, which is the filtration vessel itself. There is an inspection lid, so that should suffice, was his premise. M. Spanc concurred, saving me the cost of having a deep inspection point added.
Here it is, in place, being filled with water whilst starting to backfill the station with gravel.

Thank you again Martin. That looks like a straightforward and neat installation.

Also designed the lovely Hammersmith Bridge. Unfortunately the 20th/21st C has damaged it to the extent that a.t.mo not even pedestians are allowed on it and the river cruises to Kew not allowed to pass beneath. £140 million to make it safe for traffic. £85 million to pedestrains and cyclists. If you look at the map, it’s got to be the Full Monty. Sir Joe would be appalled.

I was sitting on the wall having a quiet pint, overlooking the river outside The Blue Anchor, hard by the bridge on the Mddx side, when a cruise boat failed by mere inches to pass underneath unscathed. The top of the pilot house hit the lowest girder. There was an almight bang. Momentum carried the boat under the bridge and the skipper came alongside, outside the pub. He was bleeding heavily from cuts from flying glass. I took him the Ch X West London to be stitched up. He usually did the downstream run to Greenwhich. It was his first upstream to Kew. I bet the boss said, “No worries,mate. You’ll be fine under Hammersmith Bridge.” The tide was making but nothing like it is in this picture.

L.B. Hammersmith and Fulham say it’s TfL’s gig. TfL say it’s down to L.B. H & F.

Mrs J.S. Bach had 20! By the time C.P.E. was ready for music lessons, elder brother W.F. was well into his twenties and did the business.