Might have cocked up

I had an email from the RAC (can’t find it at the moment) telling me about the problems with some fuel. From what I can remember if you don’t use it quickly the water (it has more apparently) separates. It said not to use it in vehicles over a certain age as it can damage pipes etc. I will try to find the email so I can give you more definite information but you may be able to find it if you google RAC fuel warning or something like that. I have found a link it is about E10 fuel. What is E10 fuel and how will it affect you? | RAC Drive

Morning all

Thanks for the advice, think I will get some normal petrol , not the end of the world.

As everybody has said - rubbish signage for incompetents like me

Andy

saves all the faff, dunnit…

1 Like

I put 4 star in all my stuff. I avoid anything labelled as biofuel or ethanol. I think the last time I even put premium 4 star in it because I was filling the car and couldn’t be ar$ed to change pumps to fill the garden fuel jerrycan

It’s denied of course, but I’m certain that the fuel from supermarket forecourts is inferior to that from other garages.
We get fuel for our strimmer and chainsaw from a traditional garage (the mower is diesel so we get red for that).

Agreed. Actually the fuel in a geographical area may go to all sorts of different branded petrol stations across the area from the same depot (same fuel) but the additives each brand puts in are different.

I consistently got 15% more mileage on my motorbike using Shell VPower. Car also much happier with that fuel and mileage increase less and more variable but still there.

I’m not sure if I got that info from when I worked for one of bigger oilco’s or if on my favorite motoring website honestjohn.co.uk

1 Like

Some posters on sites moaning about limp-mode in Peugeots told of getting rid of the engine warning light and the limp-mode itself by using ‘premium quality’ fuel - particularly diesel.

Now, I ran this past our vehicle guru, Mark Rimmer. He had a chuckle and recounted the day when he was taken on a tour of the fuel depot which would supply fuels to the pumps of the garage he had just bought.

Tankers being filled for delivery to filling stations included supermarket branded tankers.

When I asked the manager at my local Pug dealer why the cost of diesel was 10c/litre more than at Carre4 round the corner he gave me a story about additives blah blah .

I told him the story of Mark Rimmer’s visit to the depot. He laughed and said, “That’s actually the truth!”

but, don’t forget Chris that these tankers are no one vast internal space but a number of self contained “containers” so there is no mixing between cells. It sis quite conceivable that different cells contain different qualities of basically the same product.

That’s what the manager at Pug said, to start with. But in the end he admitted, as above.

Who would one rather believe, Mark Rimmer, who sold the stuff and the manager of a Total station, or the snake oil believers on YT?

In my yoof, pumping gas at The Scotch Corner Shell station on the A1, I waas occasionally asked “… and a shot of Redex, please”. Whether additives by Redex and Wynn’s actually do anything useful, I don’t know. If you believe it does, maybe it does.

and they have a hatch on top which I think is used for testing, I imagine that’s where the small bottles of additives could be chucked in too?

I have had more than one car which got bad-tempered when it was given Tesco after several tanks of Shell VPower. Fuel is used off the top of the tank so most recent fill. Definite sluggish and not smooth running adjustment period.

Been putting petrol in my B&S Husqvarna for years without any problems, never occurred to me to worry about it. All it says in the manual is ‘unleaded’, and of course it is all that these days apart from the diesel pump.

But the above discussion reminds me of the very early days of discount fuel, before even the supermarkets got involved, when Jet was the first in the market I think.

Nobody would say where it came from so a TV investigation programme followed a Jet tanker…to an Esso refinery. :laughing:

1 Like