Mobile phone (again)

We have absolutely no mobile signal chez nous, I need to drive 2km before I get anything reasonable (I use WhatsApp if needed using Wi-Fi), but that’s not the issue.

Using online retailers more frequently now, and when paying, many ask for a mobile number to send a code to verify, usually with a time limit which often isn’t long enough (the 1st km isn’t quick).

Anyone got any ideas how to get around this/App recommendations? Orange used to have a Femtocell thingy, but it’s no longer available.

Here in the UK I use a mobile provider that uses WiFi calling. Is that available where you are?

I’ve been trying to find that on my phone, but apparently it doesn’t exist

I’ve not tried this but if it works in France I’d be very interested as we only have mobiles here (no fixed line):
https://www.vectonemobile.fr/en/features/vectone-xtra

Mark, wifi calling is only available on certain models. Firsty - I assume you have internet on your landline (update - yes you do). If you do and you have an iPhone -

Hi Mark, my new phone has wifi calling and it’s a Samsung Galaxy A40. It cost me £180 in the UK a few weeks ago. Maybe changing your phone is the answer?
I hope you get it sorted out.
Izzy x

It is necessary to use a mobile supplier who can provide wifi calling. Here -
I was using Plusnet and they were cheap and good but I had to change to Three to get wifi calling at the right price. I imagine it’s a similar situation in France.

That’s interesting, Michael. I’m with Virgin on a SIM only contract and wifi calling didn’t work with my previous, much older, phone. It sounds like a combination of the appropriate phone and supplier is necessary.
Izzy x

PayPal does not require a verification code, even when they take the money directly from my bank account.
Normally I can get a mobile signal if I hold the phone out of a window but I prefer not to bother, so choose to buy from suppliers who accept PayPal, whenever possible.

I use two-factor authentication for Paypal, Ebay, Booking.com etc. It’s too easy to hack a lot of these platforms.

No, don’t have an iPhone (blackview 6800 indestructible battery lasts for a week phone)

You have my sympathy as I have the same problem though I don’t have to drive 2kms. I have asked SFR about WiFi calling and been told unless I bought the phone from them it is not available. It certainly does not appear in settings.

You should be able to install a VOIP app - eg. skype - on any mobile, then get a phone number for internet calls - there is usually a small fee - I have a ‘skype pro’ package that includes a UK number for £1.80 per month - it enables my UK clients to phone me at UK rates - but you can get a French number - and many other country numbers.

1 Like

Seems quite expensive to me for an occasional call to UK from France by mobile using Skype…
https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/
I don’t have a French landline and would only ring UK very infrequently…

I see there are other cheaper options…

For me, it’s not making calls that’s the problem, it’s receiving text messages with authentication codes, delivery times etc

Exactly - I don’t make telephone calls with skype - only receive them - I don’t have any of the subscriptions Graham linked.
(I’m not promoting skype particularly by the way - indeed I generally use other providers - but I’ve had my number for years - many years before skype sold out to microsoft - a company I generally avoid - and indeed they are well into the process of ruining skype now!)

How so, Geof?

Just the usual microsoft issues Graham - although it hasn’t really changed much yet, it is definitely more clunky, more frequent updates not well adapted to different platforms, increasing prices and erosion of free services. Wheras skype was, I think, the leader, I find there are now less connection and quality issues with other providers as far as video calls/conferencing are concerned.

1 Like