Mobile phone insurance

Obviously one needs cover against theft, loss and accidental damage.

Does one? Have you had many phones stolen, lost or damaged accidentally then John? How much have you paid for phones insurance in the past?

Personally I've never bothered with any phone specific insurance - just another product sold on fear of the 'what if' scenario. I don't keep any info on my phone - it's all stored in the ether and most smartphones can be disabled and wiped remotely if needs be. As for the phone itself - easily replaceable.

Simon, I don’t know when you commented on phone insurance but I see there is a date of February in the margin so I guess it must be the best part of a year ago (at least). I am trying to discover who offers the best value mobile phone insurance in France but - surprisingly - I can’t find any answers on this website. You say a mobile phone is “easily replaceable”, and so it may be, but an iPhone 13 costs around €900, so I think it’s probably worth insuring. Can anyone out there give me some specific details/ recommendations on mobile phone insurance ?

Try and see if Que Choisir have looked into this market. If they have and it looks good from what you can see of it, it could be worth buying access for a month.

PS If you have business insurance sometimes quite a high level of cover for some bits of kit is included and that can include mobile phones. Gadget cover in the UK is hard to find standalone. It tends to be added to other types of policy as guess what… people keep claiming. A few bank accounts might have it or possibly a high end charge card.

As I said before, check your home insurance policy, most cover items away from the home etc so see what they cover.