Model Railways

All good, but where are the current railway modelers. Judging by the amount on Leboncoin, they exist. I have found nobody in my area at all, and a dearth of shops.

John skully, hi, i have a Hornby Dublo 3 rail today, running several locos , prior to lockdown. Now re building, with 2 Helix,s, and a big bridge. Much more to add, if still marooned. If only my 3 acres, would look after itself. All day so far, cutting grass.

3 Likes

My husband has a railway set up running various Hornby locos (00 track), but ill health now prevents him from continuing. He has offloaded some bits and pieces on ebay in the past. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about it! (Also in Burgundy!)

1 Like

I had a chemistry set and meccano and a mamod steamroller :heart::heart::heart: and a penknife which was my prize possession and still is, and I liked fly fishing and building huts and tree houses and bangers and later on my motorbike. And riding and finding skulls and fossils and collecting stones and polishing them in a tumbler. There was never any mention of "boys’ " or "girls’ " stuff. I still had to do ballet Scottish country dancing and piano and embroidery. Great fun experimenting and making a flamethrower out of two glass straws and a bottle of cognac.

3 Likes

You need an outdoor set John. You could do a scale Orient Express in three acres :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a pity Joanne.

1 Like

Got my first Hornby train “Duchess of Athol” for Xmas 1949 but drifted into aero modelling (Scottish Junior A2 Glider champion c.1955). But my sons (!!!) had a substantial 00 layout in our large Bournemouth loft. 18 years after leaving, all the rolling stock and track sits in a vintage travelling trunk in my dining room – accusing me on a daily basis to “do something!” The trunk has sat here at least ten years, waiting for me to test and service, and photograph and attempt to value the collection. I cannot even remember what happened to the landscaped baseboards and all the superb (bought kits) cardboard buildings – Bournemouth tip I suppose. Space (and get-up-and-go) I find are hard to find commodities these days.

PS Such a pleasant topic (and not a cross word in sight!).

2 Likes

John, where are you? We are in south Vienne. My husband has OO guage and modelling for 60ish years.

Peter, i have Dutchess of Athol, 3 rail, and many othere, all 3 rail… Joan, 71130, near Bourbon Lancy.

That’s stunning Jane.

The full thing was rather lovely (to my eyes). It covered a ping pong table and had contours, landscape, a river, small town, station, school, allotments and so on. Completely absorbed me for about 5 years. And then filled up rather a lot of cartons that I moved around with me for the next 45!!

1 Like

That’s close to home. My layout for last 16 years, was on a PingPong Table. New one 5,2 mètres by 3 mètres.

1 Like

Scottish country dancing is no pastime for the faint-hearted. I remember the closing dinner of a literary conference on Scottish landscape at the University of Stirling which, possibly due to an excessive mixture of grape and grain during the formal dinner, degenerated into a bout of Scottish country dancing, My memories of the evening are understandably hazy, but I recall elderly academics flinging themselves into Strip the Willow, whilst other profs of similar vintage were being flung out of it into the cheering audience.

1 Like

Scottish country dancing is the best :heart:

I have been umming and arrring about how to post this; I hope this is the right place.

Four year or so ago a friend offered us a large number of railway / modelling bits. He had been given them by a friend whose husband had passed away. The friend intended to do things with it, but never did. It just filled his top room, doing nothing.

Now it is in our top room, doing nothing. Again, good intentions but no progress.

There are half a dozen diaramas, country and town scenes - British, French and German. Some of the diaramas are industrial scenes. As well as these there are many many OO gauge trucks, carriages and engines. The engines, I hasten to add, are mostly plastic built-up models, some with motors. Large amount of Humbrol enamel? paint tins (all ok, over 100 of them). Brushes, scalpels, many kits; too much to even think about listing.

What can I do? We don’t want it anymore, but do want to get the top room clear in one go; not people picking bits and pieces.

As an aside, I have finished practical astronomy after 60 years and have some adds and ends, again to get sold as one lot. No telescopes, but several eyepieces, webcams and an original, unused SBIG tracker set.

1 Like

Hi, Firstly, where do you live. Secondly, are you wishing to sell the stuff, or simply dispose of it in one go to a good home. John

Extreme south Dordogne, sell.

Ok, then your only choice if you don’t want it picked over, is to make a list and put on Leboncoin. I am in model clubs, but They would want to pick and choose, and want you to post. My private view is you will struggle to sell, without photos, and a proper list. If you take some photos, and email them to me, I may be able to give you some idea of value.

1 Like

You could group them into categories, and then list each group on LBC with an approximate description and photos so please can see for themselves. If the price is right you should sell.

Why did you demolish them? Surely someone would have taken them off your hands! All that work!