Monarchy vs Republic in the UK

It’s difficult to seperate the “cheap shots” when the homeless were removed from the streets for the wedding…their meagre belongings gathered up by poiice and put into storage until Monday…it would have been an ideal opportunity to find them a home rather than storage for the very little they have…???

Difficult to generalise about the homeless in Windsor, Helen6, as there will be many reasons why individuals have shunned offers of shelter; some wanting to make political statements, others for personal reasons. I don’t doubt these have been exhaustively considered at the highest level. But is it right that a few individuals should usurp the right of the general public to celebrate a national event? I think the question is a legitimate one, on a matter of principle, and addresses freedoms we both hold to be important.

1 Like

There’s not much doubt that the royals have a German heritage and names were hurriedly changed…there’s also the controversy of the cousins put into mental asylums one of whom was only 14 at the time…I don’t think anyone is trying to
ostracise the Gèrmans but our “written for us” history needs to be assimilated into where we find ourselves today in order to move forwards…I’m getting a little tired of reparations supposedly owed to an illegitimate state…when human rights abuse and child trafficking and human trafficking and sexual trafficking and organ harvesting and trafficking and people trafficking is swept under the carpet .,we can debate the word “holocaust” until we’re blue in the face as the word is only relative to the people experiencing genocide whatever country they currently reside in…enough is enough…,How do we move forwards…???

1 Like

I was as moved (often to tears) by the National event as any English National/British National/uk National…and as mentioned I have a soft spot for diana’s two sons…I’m not interested in discussing meghan’s wedding dress (although I thought her reception dress was much nicer…) I’m interested in and probably dedicated to a “new Earth” for all of us…a new earth where we don’t even have to debate the homeless in Windsor…a new earth where all are equally valued and treasured…,I hope it’s achievable in my lifetime…and if not then I’ll know I did all I could…

France is the most visited country by tourists in the world generating a lot of revenue and they seem to get well enough without a present day monarchy.
I’m not anti-royalist, I just think there’s too many of them sponging off their senior members.

1 Like

With Disneyland Paris coming in at #1 with over 16 million visitors per year! #2 is The Louvre with around 9 million…:slight_smile:

I know that the current Royal Family has German roots but really?

George II was born in Hanover
George III was mad but born in the UK
George IV was a crap king but was born in the UK
William IV was born in the UK
Victoria was born in the UK
Edward VII was born in the UK
George V was born in the UK
Edward VIII was born in the UK
George VI was born in the UK
Elizabeth II was born in the UK

Charles was born in the UK
William was born in the UK
George was born in the UK

It’s not as if we’ve been shipping them in each generation is it?

Edit: slight correction in that, technically, George III, George IV and William IV were not born in the UK because the UK did not exist until 1801, and I suppose we can’t ignore the significant injection of German-ness brought by Albert but the fact remains that every British Monarch for the past 250+ years has been born here.

7 Likes

And the Hanoverians themselves were decended from James I through his daughter Elizabeth.

1 Like

Another glorious shower of well-researched and informative sparks of knowledge from SFN’s resident @Flinderbox :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thank-you (I think).

It was an honest compliment on your regular careful contributions, Paul, and you deserve it, I think. My sometimes overdressed style may sometimes seem to have caustic undertones… but not this time :smiley:

:slight_smile:

Mind you it’s not a totally unreasonable point - I have made a similar observation on SF myself regarding the origins of the monarchy, however I think we should give them their due - the current set are as British as anyone would want them to be.

2 Likes

I think that I will stay silent for fear of a re visit to the Tower of London for a rende vous with handsome Henry.

Why stay silent, it doesn’t matter if your opinion is different to others?

1 Like

Not sure if I am alone in my opinion.

Oh Barbara… go on… this is the thread to air your thoughts on the Monarchy vs Republic… :relaxed:

We are all different… you do not have to agree with anyone… and that works all the way round… :hugs:

1 Like

I want to see sensible reasons why the UK should become a republic.

2 Likes

lt was splendid to see that love can win through some of the great divide
but it was sad to learn that the mother of the bride sat alone balancing joy against
sadness.
I am not against either nor for either.

I think the mother of the bride was overwhelmed with joy at her daughter’s wedding…

2 Likes

Just wot the RF needs, cheer leaders, and baton twirlers :joy: Royal Family, btw not, La Republique Francaise :+1: