Monarchy vs Republic in the UK

I want to see sensible reasons why the UK should become a republic.

just google “why the UK should become a republic.”

yes Marisa Bate wrote that.
But I wonder about so many things.
And I hope that the bride would have been accepted by her new family if she was not a film star?
Has the royal family realised that they have to accept that the young members of the family fall in love as tellurians and not as an ethereal species which live beyond our world.
I hope that Doria was not feeling lonely …Just excited that her daughter has found happiness.
I think of the rough sleepers in Windsor and how low they must feel. Removed because they appear to be shameful. I never understood the homeless situation but in recent years I can.I see the selfishness which spreads across the world taking lives with it as it eats away at the self esteem and immunity of¨¨the less fortunate. How easy it is to make someone disappear for a day and possibly to eradicate their dreams forever.

The brides father how he has been punished by for his mistakes …whatever they were.
Has he been called by the whole family to join in extended celebrations? Will it be one big happy family ?
Did he get a piece of the lemon and elderflower cake …made from the celebrated Amalfi lemon?

You’re quite right of course but it would be nice to see SFN members opinions of why, even including yours.:wink:

2 Likes

I’m not particularly bothered if GB becomes a republic or not. oint is that you don’t need to have a present day monarchy to have a successful tourist trade. Those who say that the Royal Family is a good tourist asset are correct but it’s not the be all and end all, as France proves.

2 Likes

Wondering how much all the politicians and associated peers and lords etc cost on an annual basis…??? I would prefer to see William as the next in line if I had a choice…Found this interesting…a potential way of paying off a whopping 0.06 % of the uk “debt”…??? x :slight_smile:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/uk-government-looks-to-open-mysterious-fund-to-pay-off-national-debt.html

Sadly, it will only pay a small sum… the money will be swallowed-up… and no real benefit noticed…

I would love to see the money used rather than sitting in the Bank… but using it on something tangible… a real benefit.

Perhaps after Brexit is over and all the financial woes sorted… this Fund could be used to build something tangible, something long-lasting…that would benefit the many …

If we use it at the moment, it will be wasted in my opinion… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

To whom is all this money owed :thinking:

1 Like

That’s the unimaginable multi quadrillion dollar question isn’t it…??? x :slight_smile:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-pentagon-cant-account-for-21-trillion/

Monarchy. It is a vital part of our cultural heritage. I cannot see the advantage of a Republic, the UK suffers enough under the so called leadership of other elected officials do we really need another snout in the trough. I swore an oath of allegiance to the Crown nearly 40 years ago consequently I am and always will be a royalist.

2 Likes

Well the poor homeless people were gathered from the streets of Windsor and banished
and David Beckham and the Cluneys were met with open arms such was the Royal Wedding.
Splendid and glorious but heartless.
Monarchy should be supreme level of rule and one should look up to them with pride.
I hope that you all do.

It is not the monarchy’s responsibility to find shelter for the homeless, any criticism should be aimed at the government and the local councl.

2 Likes

@tim17
The homeless are their subjects just as much as anyone else (esp visitors who aren’t even subjects!!)
They should have been allowed to stay, I don’t think anyone is expecting HMQ to house them (although she does have quite a number of spare houses…).

1 Like

yes Tim you missed the point!

1 Like

It was one of those impossible situations, some idiot on the council made a stupid remark about the homeless in Windsor and the royals were made to look heartless for not helping them yet if they did then people would say they only did that so the town would look perfect for the wedding. Couldn’t win either way.

why on earth should these people be thrown away …ordered to go out of site.
Who knows you or I may have been that low once in our lives…and so lucky we have not!
I expect a certain amount of compassion with the Monarchy and respect for others.

2 Likes

Which was?

Liz and Phil have done a great job over the decades and William and Kate seem genuine people, the rest of the hangers on should be strung up, as for that joke Camilla well…

1 Like

What do you mean by “which was”

Simple, you said I’d missed the point so I was just asking what the point was.

That was way back.
I have explained that I would expect the Royal Family to set a good example of love and kindness to all their subjects…not allowing snobbery to take place on the wedding day or any day.