Mosquitoes reactions

I can’t remember, it is a bit rubbish and you have to hit gently which isn’t as much fun. I believe it even has gaffer tape repairs! They are cheap at Gifi / Lidl etc. We also have a small blue light catcher thing, I think I’m going to get a bigger one, they are less than €20 and I’ve heard good things about them.

After getting eaten alive, we bit the bullet and put roller-screens in nearly every window and this has dramatically reduced the number of fliers/biters we get indoors.

Well worth the initial outlay for the product, which is still going strong 20 years later.

2 Likes

I have 3 of those,different sizes bought from different places and none of them works… The only one I had that did was about 30com high and you hung it from a hook with the lead going off to a plus. If you come across one that works directly in a socket, do say, as I keep buying them then throwing them away!

I’m trying to picture those @Stella but failing…

1 Like

We got this one from Amazon France.
Since we fitted window screens, we haven’t had an opportunity to use it in anger but it looks as though it will do the job…

They fit on the outside - a bit like a roller blind but a very fine screen to keep the bugs out.

So how does it work around shutters? Inside those?

yes, inside… between the shutter and the window (assuming the windows open inwards).

2 Likes

they are sprung, black fine-mesh, like roller blinds which fit on the outside of the windows and slide up and down within a frame, so there is nowhere for the little flying beggars to get indoors.

Nothing quite so satisfying as seeing a giant wasp or a small mozzie outside and unsuccessfully batting against the mesh…

1 Like

Oh yes! I can just picture it… :smiley:

The other day I woke up and saw a mozzie on the inside desperately trying to get out but was blocked by the moustiquaire :person_facepalming:t2:

oh dear… perhaps they’re breeding indoors…

They do. The larvae come inside and we bat them to stop them from turning into mozzies.

both Lidl (twice) and Aldi (very close to now I think) sold them this year. Round or square. Lidl had a rechargeable battery one also good for outdoors or a tent

@toryroo

We have normal swatters as well as an electric one - so satisfying hearing them sizzle :rofl: :rofl: . You may remember the fly situation in Oz David - my brother and I used to play fly tennis with swatters!

I take no pleasure from killing anything though, only of necessity and as quickly as possible, which is why it is some years since we bought the hanging sticky tapes. But we did this year and I was prepared for the awful sight of live flies stuck for hours before death. However, this year they appear to die quickly, no movement at all, and I reckon there must be a quicker acting poison blended with the glue.

But as to Australia, we used to joke in the Territory that if there was an export market for flies Oz would be the richest country in the world. :laughing:
I could see the reason for the old swagmen with dangling corks on their hat brims, though I never saw one myself and, speaking as an old swagman myself, never went for it myself either. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t like killing things either. Flies don’t count :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:- I grew up doing ‘the Bushies wave’ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:only wore a hanging cork hat as dress up - did have my Akubra of course but no corks :rofl: :rofl:

If you have an old house where the rolling mozzie /fly shutters won’t work or look good, easy to build a wood frame to slot in. I’ll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow of my bedroom one.

I read a brief piece a few days ago about the need for care in placing the electronic mossie zappers…
Apparently, the more powerful ones can zap them in to a thousand pieces and scatter the remains - including any toxins within - a fair distance round the device!
Placing them too close to food or your bed at night might be an issue…

I never had any bad reactions to mosquito bites until I was stung on the toe by a hornet (on that soft fleshy bit behind the toe). My foot doubled in size and the swelling got as high as mid calf. Since then, if I’m bitten on the foot by a mosquito (or horsefly - we have them as well) my foot swells up enormously just like before. Antihistamines don’t work at all. Bites elsewhere also give very large red lumps as big as a few inches which can take a week to disappear. Not happy :rage:

1 Like

For old houses, you can get ones that have a metal frame and thin magnets that you stick to the outer window frame which holds the mozzie screen in place. We had them on every window at our MS in Deux Sevres. They work really well and aren’t epensive.

Oh yes, the Bushies Wave, you see some people doing it automatically even when not necessary. And plus one re the Akubra, still in a cupboard, loved but unused. :smiley:

1 Like