Mosquitoes reactions

All commercial food handling places - butchers, canteen/cafe kitchens, etc have them. Surely they wouldn’t if none of them work?

Oh yes, those do indeed work but they are a lot bigger and use a different system. The small ones seem to have blue leds rather than UV and don’t attract anything much. The problem with the bigger ones is, as @graham points out, how to place them. For me, no good in the bedroom and they aren’t great in the living room either. We used to hang ours in the kitchen but it’s difficult in a small house finding an appropriate place for them.

2 Likes

We have one in our salon, but the batter does for more. We occasionally hear one frying.
The worst mozzies I have encountered are on the Ile D’Oleron. they are famed and you can even bu mugs with jokes about them.
I got bitten and my ankle swelled up so much that I couldn’t get my shoe on properly for two days.

I had a big ol’ butchers one I got in a catering supplies shop, it worked very well for years and lived on top of the fridge. I retired it because it fried too many moths and I felt guilty.

Our old house has dark oak, wooden windows, the colour of which blends beautifully with the track for our mosquito roller blinds…

Folk would have to peer closely to see them.

There is one small window which has an arched top…
OH is busy building a special folding frame on which the static blind will be fixed.
The idea is to hide the frame/blind behind the wrought iron grille…

Hello. Sorry to hear you are suffering. I use Tiger Balm on fresh bites (red is more potent but white also works, just avoid white clothing as the red version stains) it takes the itch down almost immediately and the swelling. You might need to test your skin to check it is ok for you. Also, citronella spray is a good deterrent. If you want a good repellent, the best I have found is Autan Family care (the aerosol spray with a blue tin). You can order it online, I haven’t seen it in France, in a shop, for sale. Hope this helps. The tigers mozzies are out chomping day and night. I am down in the south and they are bad little blighters down here.

Agreed - works a treat.

It learned of its efficacy in Sri Lanka from an Ayurvedic doctor after getting bitten really badly. Well, actually that one was similar to Amrutanjan pain balm - a top seller in India. The relief from the itching was staggering!

Another tip for itchy lumps, rashes and skin irritation is cold tea. Boiled water on a normal, previously unused English tea bag, let it cool and dab the cold tea on the irritated skin (using the tea bag). The tannin in tea helps calm rashes. Not sure it works in moz bites but normal summer rashes, it is quite successful. I tried it on a bite on my lip that was hugely swollen and it was gone within 30 mins.

will it work with French tea as well?

Ha, well, that’s a question! :laughing:I suppose I meant strong, black builder’s tea, rather than ‘English’ tea…

1 Like

Yesterday I ordered something on Amazon that was recommended to me. It’s called a Beurer BR 60. Apparently it heats up quickly and you just press it where the mozzie bite is. It’s supposed to make whatever stuff the mozzie injects into you melt away or something like that. The one I ordered has over 1,500 reviews, and 4.5 out of 5 stars. It arrives next week… will let you know whether it works :smiley:

It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

We got this one - works brilliantly.

that’s the Lidl thing - Lidl is actually a Beurer.

Seems one of the advantages of being in France is that Lidl France get their hands on some of the Beurer devices Lidl Germany stocks. Ladies if you ever see the leg compressor it’s a bit pricey but I would recommend that too. Beurer things generally don’t appear in Lidl in the UK.

Back to the Lidl / Beurer insect sting itch reducer. As I have said on SF earlier this summer it’s changed my life.

It’s essential to zap as soon as you’re aware you’ve been bitten. Even a short scratch before first zapping will mean having to do it many more times. Any broken skin and it’s too late. I’ve found really old ones that haven’t quite cleared up can clear given a few zaps over a 12 hour period. Am onto my second set of batteries now! Zap Zap :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have one on order.
I have just had an appalling reaction from a bite, not necessarily a mozzie as we have a lot of cluster flies from the cattle.
It went purple, but probably because it is on my compromised arm.
It is now fading.

You could try a red top fly trap for the flies, especially if you are near cattle. Clear many hundreds of flies each year and there seems to be less of them after a couple of years but not being there this year they may have returned.

Oops - I completely forgot to update everyone on this. I am very pleasantly surprised by how effective it is. It is much better than the Zap It that I used to use. However, it ain’t half hot (Ma’am)… So much so that my other half refuses to use it as she says she prefers suffering from the mosquito bites than the 2nd degree burns this thing gives her.

Better than just putting a hot flannel on it?