Mosquitoes

Are you having problems with mosquitoes where you are? Here on the CdA, we are bothered a lot by this new type (for this region) of mosquito, the tiger mosquito. They seem to be immune to all the known repellents, well at least the natural ones. They are of various sizes with quite visible white markings. Any tips as to what could work (apart from those dreaded chemicals)…

In my younger days!.. I did the back-packing thing USA, Thailand, OZ etc., and was told to either drink lots of beer (ugh) or take vitamin b tablets, they don’t like the yeast smell/taste. It worked for me.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The bedroom isn’t so much of a problem. It’s working in the garden or being around the pool that is the problem.
I have an organic Mosimix, a blend of essential oils, which works for me. But my mother is attacked no end by the little blighters…

Hello

They do not like ‘wind’, so if you have a fan that can be put on low speed you will find that they won’t be bothering you, also a good way of keeping them away is to buy a BASIL plante and put it in your bedroom, they don’t like that and stay away, as they love me I have tried all the other ways but this one works, as far as electric difusers go I am always worried about what I am breathing in during the night if its in my bedroom, so go buy a plant and you will see that they will give you a break

Gary

After a largely mozzie-free summer here on the Cote Bleue, we’ve suddenly had a wave of them. I just rely on coils and the Bayer plug-in flacons.

1 Like

The only thing that works is Deet and it needs to b 100% :frowning: I’ve traveled a lot in Africa and Asia and the worst Mossies I’ve ever meet where near Port la Nouvelle (Aude). They would bite you through denim.
Drinking beer/wine and sweating it out also seems to work (or that’s my excuse) and garlic and strong onions.

I’m having some success with Sage from the garden… some is sitting in a jar of water, some is drying… whatever, the biting insects don’t seem to like it and give it and us a wide berth.

Traditional, in Portugal, was a small glass of vinigar near you in bed, it worked, no the bedroom does not smell like a ‘chippie’.
We aren’t bothered much here by mossies, SE 56 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I tried that and it does smell and affects my asthma.
I have a net round my bed.
This year we have ben invaded by wasps and the problem seems to be everywhere.

Maybe diff’/powerfullerer’ vinigar down your way Jane :wink:

If you’re looking to stop them getting into you house something like this will help.

I think you should find them in most bricos also mesh to put on your windows.