MOT ... Registering Vehicle in France

Let 2023 become a good year folks. I have a Spanish registered - in my name - motorcycle in France. It’s MOT has expired. I want to sell it.

Can I MOT it in France?
Can I sell it with it’s present registration?
How do I go about registering it in France to sell it? Pitfalls?
Am I better placed to ride it to the UK to sell?

Thanks folks.

I don’t think you currently need a controle technique (MOT) for a motorbike in France - there was a move to introduce a test for bikes over 125cc but it got squashed after a legal challenge I believe.

To sell in the UK you would definitely need an MOT.

You might need to get a “type approval” certificate form the manufacturer (you do when bringing a British-registered vehicle into France) but that may not apply since you are moving within the EU.

Then I think you just go on to the ANTS website and register it to get a carte grise and French number plates.

I found some more info here which might help:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/france/transport/vehicle-ownership/importing-an-eu-vehicle

If you have a certificate of conformity then registration is pretty straightforward unless it’s over 106bhp and doesn’t have ABS.

If you can’t get one then it’s quite a bit more tricky unless it’s more than 30 years old and qualifies as a véhicule de collection.

What bike is it?

1 Like

Unless you have a Triumph like mine when ANTS have the type approval number entered in the system with one incorrect digit in which case the answer is ‘your moto does not exist: it is not a recognised type’…

Makes me glad I sold my Triumph for a BMW before moving over rather than deal with computer says no.

Good morning, I
I am french, what is your motorcycle ?
Regards
Jéeôme

Hello Jéeôme.
It is (my motorcycle) a 1997 BMW K1100RS. It can be viewed on an old Youtube positing I made when in Spain and wanting to sell it when my work there was finished but there wasn’t time and I had to ship it home to France (https://youtu.be/foH7nYnHNHo).

Regards,

Shaun.

Thanks, nice vidéo, how much do you want for this bike ?

Best regards

Jerome

I don’t think you can get a certificate of conformity for a bike of that age. Your options would be for BMW to inspect it and provide an attestation of the differences between it and the French specification and then undergo a DREAL inspection to confirm that the necessary modifications had been made.

The other option is to wait until it’s 30 years old and go through the FFVE route for a véhicule de collection.

John, Thank you. Another contributor had said much the same thing but Portugal had his machine on record. I’ll contact BMW as well as seeing if the online application works without submitting a CoC. Other points noted.

Thank you Chris. Some good advice being offered. Taking it to the UK is out of the question. Contacted HMC. Expensive.

I’m open to offers but over €3,000. Not sure what I’d have to do to satisfy the Spanish authorities. Guess I’d write explaining that I had sold it! It was a hell of a rigmarole buying it in Spain

97 BMW K1100RS with ABS.

John, Thank you. Another contributor had said much the same thing but Portugal had his machine on record. I’ll contact BMW as well as seeing if the online application works without submitting a CoC. Other points noted.

Me again. The online application form for registering the bike in France is too obtuse for me so I have gone to a local business that will deal with this but I have to obtain a tax exemption paper to submit with the rest of the reqd. docs. I have been instructed to go to the Saints Centre des Finances Publique for this when we have one in our town 38km from Saints. Any idea why?

I’d strongly advise that you join the Facebook group “registering vehicles in France” where you will find good, accurate advice and a guy called Mark Rimmer who will do the registration for you. The problem is that local garages aren’t well experienced in dealing with imports and may advise you wrongly.