Moufle in a misogynistic sense

I was talking to someone this morning and they used two words which I heard as moufle and bougeat. I clearly go these wrong as I can’t find them in the dictionary in the sense in which they were used. She was describing a man who had no respect for women and took no account of them. I know my hearing is poor but I wondered whether anyone could guess what those words were meant to be?

only throwing ideas into the mix…

bougeard
malmener

1 Like

I thought Bougeard (which it could well be) was a proper noun :thinking:

The first was probably “mufle”, and the second one was almost certainly “goujat”. Somewhat aged terms, by today’s standards, for a rather uncouth man. Not sure how many Gen XYZ people would still use those terms.

6 Likes

Thank you VERY much @RicePudding . I’m sure you are right - that could be exactly what I heard! The person talking was elderly (by your standards anyway, I think :rofl: )

1 Like

Trouble is, with local patois there are bound to be words used which might mean nothing to an “outsider”… like us

shifty/vagabond/good-for-nothing is something sounding like bougeard

EDIT @AngelaR on occasions I would query a word… there would often be red faces and the person apologising for using a rude word… so now I just let things go with the flow… :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes mufle and goujat are what I would think she said :slightly_smiling_face: neither is obscene or shocking.

2 Likes

Agree. Especially if the person was perhaps not from the highest educational level. Goujat my OH recalls now has racist undertones, whereas originally was just anti-Auvergnat. Bit like what Plouc and Bretons was.

For me a Goujat is a paysanasse ou à pitzouille.
Never heard any racist connotations, but would like to know what others think especially Mr. JJ

Goujat comes from Occitan and originally just meant a valet ie a person of socially low degree, it doesn’t have racist overtones.
The term for Auvergnats was Bougnats, they were coal merchants and café people who went to Paris.

1 Like

Ah ha! He said it was a vague memory, so that sounds far more likely!

The term is still used here in the Auvergne as a form of endearment and pride - quite often found in restaurant names and agricultural producers business names, even apéro drinks and dishes on menus, etc.

Bougnat that is, not goujat :rofl:

1 Like