Mould? on Pool terrace not shifting with Karcher

I’m Karchering the swimming pool terrace and losing the will to live! Whoever thought that was a good system?
The Karcher is taking off the general dirt - mainly Sahara sand - but not the small round black dots which I assume are mould. In some places there are a lot of them - which means the light tiles still do not look pristine.
Has anyone a suggestion for a solution please other than scrubbing brush and pail of hot water?
Thanks for any help / advice.

You could try using the very strong bleach (sold in brico sheds in 20 litre containers), and then jetwash off, wear a mask, gloves and old clothes though!

You could try anti mousse , ( might have got the spelling wrong!).We got some terrific stuff from Super U , their own brand, spray the area on a sunny day & leave to dry, we’d then pressure wash a couple of days later. The light pool tiles always came up nice & bright, might work for you.

3 Likes

Yes, anti mousse is the way to go. It’s used mainly to clean roof tiles of moss and mould and does a good job at that, so as long as it’s mould spots, it should work.

2 Likes

Thank you @Debby_Wade and @hairbear what about getting it in the pool?

Apply with a bush not à pulvériser then jet wash away from the pool. Let dry and apply a hydrofuge sealant as jet washing eliminates any natural sealing.

1 Like

Again, same question as to others - what about getting it in the pool?

We’d spray in the morning on a still, bright day keeping the nozzle fairly close to the ground. The stuff we used said not to rinse and to make sure rain wasn’t in the immediate forecast. We used it on mossy surfaces too and you could see it working, the green would go very quickly. The only reason I pressured washed the pool tiles a couple of days later was to clean off everything, we were rural & the farmers sprayed all sorts that would drift. I never found there was a problem with it getting into the pool.

1 Like

It will make very little difference to the pool, it is mainly chlorine. I use it to shock treat my pool and as it’s unstabilized it doesn’t hang around too long.

2 Likes

We have the same issue Debby. Surrounded by fields, which is lovely, but not great for keeping the pool area looking smart. The prevailing wind from the west can whip down off the fields up behind us and the pool (of course) is on that side of the garden.

I jetwash the paving around our pool every Spring Wozza. I haven’t noticed any deterioration - but what is the effect of loss of natural sealing?
(Obviously it will tend to make the paving more porous - but does this matter?)

You’ve knocked the nail on the head!
Depending on the stone the more porous the higher risk of dirt wine stains fungus etc also water penetration flaking and cracking due to freezing temperatures.

2 Likes

I don’t miss the continual pool clean, hope you find something that works.

1 Like

No it isnt, if you want it gone quickly.
Use brico bleach (javel) in a watering can with the rose attached and protect your ankles with wellies and walk backwards. Do that at sun down and just wash away with a hose the next day, not a jet wash as bleach is still nasty and dangerous.

1 Like

It is chlorine disolved in water. Exactly as used in pools so any going in will be fine.
The antimousse is the same thing as anti algae sold in pool shops for a lot more money to the unsuspecting, also nasty stuff, doesn’t work as an anti algae at pool concentrations and uses up more chlorine as chlorine works to oxidise the anti algae out of the water. Just another swimming pool industry con!

1 Like

Will the run off affect the grass on the other side of the paving though?

With what, antimousse, yes its long lasting kills lots of things. Bleach, no short lived less harmfull than most.

5 Likes

that’s worth knowing… cheers

Where I used to work, the virtue signallers bought expensive alternatives, 10x the price, far longer lasting equatic ecosystem killing stuff.

2 Likes

As the OP’s query seems to have had a variety of useful suggestions, please can I ask what the cognoscenti now use as weed killer instead of Round Up which I understand is now verbotten? Weeds in paving, that is. I don’t mind what it is, as long as it works.