Move to France, But Where?

;-)

We had sun yesterday and snow today ! Am completely fed up with the changing weather we've had this year.

Ha, ha Steve! We live in apartment in Lyon - and have a house in the Beaujolais! Enjoy both - for different reasons. Wish the sun would come out though.

As much as I like the area, don't come to Lyon or the Beaujolais, it doesn't get too hot (unless you are in the centre of Lyon) but it can get very cold.

With hindsight I would have opted for Les Landes, nice countryside, great beaches and not over run with expats but with enough to keep EasyGreek and PaddyAir interested in maintaining regular flights.

Its all been said already visit as many areas as you can, we live in the Tarn very wooded very fertile it does get cold in the winter so please do not believe the tales that France basks in 12 months of sunshine it gets cold here if you want warm winters Spain is the choice, things that can save money if gardening is your thing a house with a well ours saves € all year round garden, washing the car and bike, general cleaning outside

If you go onto http://www.connexionfrance.com/ there are two docs that you can pay for and download re state assistance with regard to energy saving house renovations. One doc covers interest free loans up to $30k - the other covers tax rebates for eco (energy saving) renovations.

We live in Lyon. But if I was to start over again - I would have gone to La Rochelle. I am an ex Cape Townian and enjoy watersports such as kayaking and fishing (and kayak fishing!) and we live too far from the darned sea. I love La Rochelle - and personally would rather live on the Atlantic (a real ocean!) than the Med. La Rochelle has a milder climate than Lyon. Having said that, there are worse places that you could live than Lyon!

Menton. Our first choice. Did not pan out.

Jarnac, the back up choice did. However, for your own happiness look around first.

Hello Ross, Should you choose Normandy, I have a beautiful country property to sell or rent in the hills of Orne. Three acres to cultivate, a big stone farmhouse with fireplace, large garden, a walk-in bread oven, near a village church in a tiny quiet hamlet. You can contact me for photos or more info or visit www.thebreadhouseonline.com . All the best to you, France is a wonderful adventure.

Hello Ross,

you will get lots of information and comments here, so it just crossed my mind it would be a good idea if you rent a comfy sleeper car (example http://www.motorhomerent.fr/) to cruise around and to be independent. During the peak season is no need to do that. Pre & after seasons these campers are lot cheaper per week. You look for a long term solution, so you need to know more about then just a "lovely" region. And, you need to "sense" the region yourself. Another important thing: Property prices will tumble after the season, they are currently over the moon. I would wait for another 6 to 8 month with any purchase.

Ross, first on your last question, there are two groups (look over under groups on the left side of the home page) that will guide you on construction and renewable energy type issues. Have a delve then ask lots of questions there.

Where best? Hard one really. I more or less concur with Andrew (which I tend to anyway and often). In the SW there is plenty but plenty of property on offer, it is not too hot and not too dry, but then with gold old Mare Atlanticum it can be exceptionally wet some years, plus the wind chooses whether the occasional very cold weather comes from the N, NE or E and every now and again it can be pretty taters. This winter had its moments.

Everybody will describe the merits and demerits of where they are. In a way you need to look seriously at what the agents are offering and to be honest go for several agencies. My better half does that part-time and even she advises people to do that rather than just go for her. Then avoid the ones only offering top range properties. The ones who offer the low price houses also offer the lot up to chateaux costing millions galore, there you have a wide range rather than where they simply want you to buy something expensive. If you have 1m then probably think in terms of 600 to 650k to have plenty of money for renovations, conversion, installations and so on left over. Agents and vendors tend to 'omit' work needing done and arriving to find the rain pouring through your roof... I listen to my mrs and have picked that up and wish we had done something more along those lines ourselves.

Best of luck with your search. People here will always have advice, so just ask.

As Margo says, come over as much as you can in the winter as many who haven't studied geo/météo often ge ta nasty shock when winter hits. Sounds like western France/Atlantic coast would suit best - like the UK, the sea keeps things a little cooler in the summer and a little milder in the winter but the down side is windier/wetter winters than further east (although there again, it's worth getting to grips with the various regional winds Tramontane, Mistral, Autan, Marin to name but a few !)

Here's a fantastically informative website, one of my favourite météo ones for stats and real info not very vague tourist guide rubbish ;-)

Bonne chance ;-)