Moving on from Duolingo

Yes but not as marked as it is in English.

1 Like

Thanks @vero - I wondered if that was the case!

My workaround has been broken - now I’m on the one, true path. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t worry - as far as most Bretons are concerned all ‘carafe’ speakers are foreigners.
It’s interesting though that it is ‘carafe’ that has been anglicised, not the ‘pichet’ that is more used closer to the UK.

Isn’t the word pitcher used already in english so carafe would be seem a more logical word to adopt.

Yes indeed - I’d forgotten about ‘pitcher’. I associate it with a very large jug (not bad idea when it comes to wine though).

We often ask for a pichet of rosé/red wine and a carafe of water……

If you use Facebook it’s nice getting these little reminders: Redirecting...

I’ve always associated them with baseball… :slight_smile:

And an ewer…?

Bonjour @Melange,

Duolingo brings back memories. :blush: It was the first online application I learned to use when I started learning French in high school. Before I would do practice tests in my study books, watch familiar shows translated in French, listen to music in French, and record and practice my speaking with my professor who I enjoyed practicing with. I am a recent college graduate now, I don’t use Duolingo anymore, but an app called Busuu, Hello Talk which I have not tried yet- it’s suppose to help with conversational practice, and Pimsleur. I tried Pimsleur and it was a really good practice and set up but since I am paying for Busuu, I only did the free trial. Also, YouTube videos help. I enjoy CCube Academy and Comme une française. On the side, I practice my French writing, listen to French music still, and currently studying up for the DELF Exam in December. Still deciding on the A or B. :thinking: Would very much love a B2, but more studying is in order I think.

I liked the layout of Busuu - more grownup that DL and more interesting content - the thing that put me off was the total lack of control over user input.

Busuu’s big claim (when I was using it) was that “the community” would correct errors in your writing. Great in theory, but when I corrected some English exercises I could see that non-native English speakers - of which there seemed a vast number - were offering “corrections” to already-correct work, or praising sentences which were obviously incorrect. Since that might well be happening to my own work, I lost any confidence in the app.

I have been using an app called Conjuu for brushing up my conjugations. I can’t remember if it’s free or a few euros, but I find it’s great.

It may of course have changed since, but when I did my DELF each level was a separate épreuve lasting less than two hours. So I did all 4 on the same day - A1 & A2 in the morning and B1 and B2 in the afternoon. The way they structured it you couldn’t apply to do one level unless you already had evidence of being at the level below.

So the simplest was to do the lot and see. The only thing you lose if you don’t pass them all is the registration fee.

3 Likes

At the nearest centre to us, they do each level of exam on a different day. I’m booking in for the B1 next month. I am certain I’ll fail it but at least I’ll know more definitely where I am failing. I’m hoping they’ll make allowances for the hard-of-hearing but somehow I doubt it…

1 Like

Good luck, and who knows, you might pass. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Sue! There’s always a small chance :smiley:

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Angela I also have problems with my hearing which is why I have used Duolingo. In the past there was very little spoken french so I could move along, but now I realise by avoiding the spoken word I have driven myself into a hole. I’m now trying conversational french locally at a simple level to try to improve my listening skills. I hope you succeed in your tests and wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Hi Rashmi thank you for your language suggestions, other than YouTube they were all new to me, so i’ll have a look. Recently my learning has been in waves, for the first time I now get stuck for a week and then things click so I think more listening is needed. If I find something that works for me i’ll put my findings here, for now i’m trying simple conversational french.

2 Likes

@Melange

That’s a good start, good luck.

1 Like

Nothing is better than actually talking! Preferably to French people, but even talking French at home between two anglophones works as it forces you to construct and listen to everyday phrases (assuming that your dinner time conversation is not quantum mechanics!). Unless you talk and listen you won’t get the phrasing and flow, and be able to hold your own in a conversation.

3 Likes