Moving post Brexit

:joy: pressed reply to wrong person
xxx

1 Like

Is it correct that shifting ones own furniture or “moving home” gives the right to travel from France to UK and vice versa?
I was under impression France had closed its border to anyone leaving (except for normal commercial traffic)??

You need to have paperwork to show that you are changing your principal residence and emigrating/immigrating.

And follow testing and isolation guidelines too

Hi Amanda.
I was wondering where you get the certificate of movement from, or what it is actually called. I emailed the French Consulate in London for a “Attestations de dĂ©placement” which is what I assume it is, and they simply refer you to their website which details the travel restrictions. We have bought our house in France, our furniture has been moved to France and now we are waiting (in an empty house) for our house sale in the UK to complete, and hopefully we will be allowed to cross the border. This website is the only one that seems to refer to this certificate of movement.
Regards
Peter

@PeterE and welcome to SF
Please amend you registration to show both your first name and last name as per the site T&C. Thanks

If all your personal goods have been moved to France and you are just talking about you and a suitcase then isn’t all (!) you need the papers for yourselves? I thought (but could be wrong) that the certificate of movement form was for goods and chattels to accompany the detailed inventory
 You of course will need to prove you are travelling to your main residence which the certificate of movement does, but you can do by other means.

You are presumably aware that as well as the paperwork need ro show you have an imperative reason to enter France, you now also need paperwork to be allowed to leave England? And of course negative Covid tests, and don’t bring ham sandwiches with you either :wink:.

I don’t think you need any documentation to leave the UK if your home is abroad. They can’t force you to stay. It’s not got to the 1961 East Berlin stage (yet) :slightly_smiling_face:

Has anyone mentioned to you that there is a pandemic?

Ohhhh, sarky. Have you reentered France from abroad in the last month? I have. The link you gave was for British residents going abroad. Not for EU residents returning home,

1 Like

:grinning: I had heard elsewhere that if you have a UK passport then you will be asked. Lots of stories of authorities on both sides of channel making things up as they go. Maybe proof of residence in EU will be sufficient, but I’m guessing that the OP doesn’t yet have a CdS so belt and braces could be worth it.

And that is what they are just stories

1 Like

Not all stories are fairytales
some seem sound.

Fifty-four travellers from the UK, including 26 British nationals, have so far been denied entry by the Swedish border police in 2021, according to new statistics.

Brits now have to prove they have the right to live and work in Sweden in order to travel to the country freely, and if they are travelling from the UK they and other foreign nationals additionally have to be able to show an authorised – and negative – coronavirus test, no older than 72 hours.

Personally I’d prefer to print out one extra piece of paper. But as said the OP will need to show proof of CdS application and principal residence to get into France right now.

I’ve heard there’s a hidden entrance to the Chunnel under the wood burning stove at the end of hut 17 in Folkstone. Steve McQueen will meet you at the other end with a motorcycle :smile:

3 Likes

My sister is feeling so claustrophobic in UK, having cancelled about 6 trips over to see us and to paint, that she may well make her way to the woodstove with her spoon

1 Like

Hi Peter,
We moved into France on 6th February. One of the key items that we needed was a certificate of residency change. We obtained this from the French consulate in London. There are details on their website on how to get this. Also needed for the customs clearance.
Yogesh

I sympathise, we have a ferry booked for the end of May; originally it was a trip last November & subsequently moved to Feb, Easter and now May. I’m not even terribly hopeful a visit will be possible then.

The appeal grows for finding someone locally with a boat and an underdeveloped sense of curiosity and mounting a commando-style midnight raid up the Vilaine and beaching somewhere a bit upstream of La Roche Bernard which would get me within a 10 mile hike of the house.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) anything moored at the local marina will, I suspect, be more suited to pootling up and down the river than to a lengthy sea crossing.

3 Likes

she’s not related to Tim Martin is she
 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Yogesh
Thanks. I finally found the section, since it isn’t in the English part for their website.

I will try again.

Sorry, forgot to mention that - however, google translate works well.
Good luck

thank you for VERY helpful post - as I understand it no tax or customs charges on the personal household items that we have owned for over six months ?