Moving to France in November

Hi Ben, I also want to move to France and to work remotely. How do you find remote opportunities (or you will continue your business you had in UK)? I want to follow this post of yours to learn more.

My field, Blockchain technology, heavily emphasises remote working. So, its more about developing the skills, having the experience or demonstrating a portfolio of projects. I will continue my business in the UK and declare at the appropriate time during the tax year.

So, the health insurance in this case is different from the general travel health insurance which covers a few weeks?

So, if I move to France on 28/11/20 and actively seek work while there, I will qualify as being legally resident? How will they know I am a job seeker? Will I need to register with the local benefit services and get registered?Also, does the taking out health insurance make one legally resident? How will the authorities be aware I have taken out health insurance? Any light on this will help. I want to be legally resident before 31/12/20.

Ben I am confused about your status
are you:

• A salaried employee who is moving to France with an employer in the UK?
  • An unemployed person who is moving to France to seek work (you will need to register with Pole Emploi and will have 6 months to find work)
  • moving here with the intention to set up your own business

??

That makes a difference as to what you need to do to settle here.

1 Like

At the moment my current job finishes on 15/11/20. So, I have another job interview on 16/11/20. If I dont get a job before 28/11/20 I will fit category 2. If I do get the job I will fit category 1. When I get to France I have intentions to fit category 3. Sorry for the long message. Does that make more sense? Thanks for responding.

1 Like

Ok, that makes much more sense!! It helps people give you the right advice if we know the situation

So, if you get the job on the 16th your employer will need to take the steps in the URSAFF guide that I linked to the other thread. (Good luck with raising that!) and then you are coming over here as an employed person with a job, and with employer paying the social security contributions so you can join health service straight away.

If you don’t get the job you are coming here as a job seeker and will have to sign on with pole emploi straight away, and will get 6 months to find a job (since that takes you beyond transition I think if you have no job at the end of 6 months you will be asked to leave.). I don’t know the position of health cover in this circumstance perhaps others do.

Of course within that 6 months you can get busy setting up your own business and, I presume, resubmit before end of the period with your change of status. (Which will of course still be before end June ‘21 so within withdrawal agreement period). And then you have to sort out your own health cover.

1 Like

Yes I think so. Normal holiday health insurance supplements the services you would get in your home country. So if you got ill on holiday, it would cover you beyond what you would be entitled to via the NHS and EHIC. You will no longer have the NHS provision because you will no longer be resident in the UK (you can be a citizen, but not a resident of two places) so it’s the basic French provision that you need your insurance cover for if you want to be able to claim French residency. Obviously if you have a job, your social security payments will cover this (although it may take a while to set up) and then you just need to decide if you want to take out top-up insurance to cover what isn’t covered by the French state.

Ah! Thats very helpful. So, the best option is to get a job with a French company and that makes me legally resident before the transition period. I already have accommodation sorted. I attend a big technology conference on Dec 9th and believe I will get a job offer there. What if the start date overlaps into 2021? Will I still qualify as legally resident.?

The french seem to be pretty relaxed about this, so if you have your job offer that is probably fine. It’s the contract they are interested in and will want to see.

1 Like

Got you! I will fire up my efforts to get a job in France! Thanks everyone. Are u based in France by any chance?

I don’t want to rain on your parade but as a Brit in the current political climate and without much French that will be challenging. Good luck though - and good luck with your interview!

Everything in life is challenging. We are only scared of what is impossible. Moving countries, learning a new language, assimilating a new culture is all challenging. What are you suggesting I do? Not try? :stuck_out_tongue: I am applying to both English speaking and French speaking companies. Tech world is different as French will be the day to day conversation but English will have its place. Have to try, right?

3 Likes

A job with a French company would definitely help, but on its own doesn’t make you legally resident - essentially you need the proof that you were here before 31st December; proof of means (e.g. sufficient funds, a job, or other source of income); and proof that you have health insurance (either via the Carte Vitale, or privately). Even with a job, you will need a bit of private health insurance to cover you until you can apply for your Carte Vitale (to do that you need your French social security number (i.e. payment into the system via your job) and proof that you’ve lived in France for more than 3 months + some other ID docs).

Have you looked at the flowchart here?: https://accueil.contacts-demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/media/uploads/2020/10/15/tableau_cas_d_usages_brexit_v5_07092020_en.pdf

(Sorry if it’s just a typed link!). Depending on your exact situation, it tells you what you’ll need to submit for your Carte Sejour and it’s the evidence that I’m working towards collecting.

Thanks. So, please in bullet point format , what makes one legally resident before 31/12/20.?
My understanding is as follows:

1. Health insurance private or state.
  2. Registered with the French employment service and actively seeking work.
  3. Paying tax into the French system with sufficient means not to depend on the state.
  4. Evidence of residing permanently in France.( Home, bills, )

Is it a combination of all four or is one sufficient? My understanding is any one of them qualifies one to be legally resident. I am moving on 28/11/20 and only concerned about what exactly will make me legally resident before 31/12/20.

Thanks for your time and responses.

It really depends on your circumstances - you can’t pay into the tax system without a job, so your 2 and 3 are replaced by 3 below, and the evidence needed then depends on which situation applies to you. In my case, I have the means to support myself until I’ve sorted out paying myself from my UK company in France (I expect it to take a couple of months to set up), then I’ll have evidence of employment. I’ll be submitting all of that with my Carte Sejour application covering the period from when I arrive, along with evidence of my permanent address and copies of my health insurance and Carte Vitale when I get it.

So:

1. Arrive before 31/12 with a permanent place to stay (evidence varies depending on type of accommodation)
  2. Health insurance - private or state (initially private until you are in a position to apply for your Carte Vitale)
  3. Means to support yourself financially (either sufficient funds in the bank, a job, registered self-employment etc.)

It is definitely the combination of all three above - you can’t obtain residency in France with say just an address - they need proof that you’re not going to try and use the health service without paying for it or claim other benefits you’re not entitled to. The most important before 31/12 are the permanent address and health insurance, provided you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to last you until you have employment (they will want to see copies of bank statements and the minimum amount isn’t strictly defined, but is suggested in the table via the link below (EUR 564.78 per month for a single adult without children).).

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F22117?fbclid=IwAR1CJuNl9wizqzC1yeCf7culBr1zBj1OKi9o4reyLV5oufARzgXe5-JSjdg

Sorry Rebecca that’s not quite right. If you have a job you employer is paying your social security contributions and you can join the health service straight away - your physical CV might take a while, but you should get a paper attestation and a SS number pretty quickly. The 3 month delay is for inactifs.

All you need to get your carte de séjour is a valid passport, proof of a accommodation and a job offer or contract. This is what is detailed on the flow chart.

So, in summary:

1. A permanent address.
  2. Private health insurance.
  3. EUR 564.78 or more in my account or a job offer that pays above EUR564.78.

Is that correct in my specific case?

So, just to reiterate in my case, the following will make me legally resident:

1. A job offer with a company based in France OR
  2. A job offer with an employer contributing to tax.
  3. Private health insurance.
    3 . A permanent address.
  4. Registration with the French employment service with a 6 months deadline of actively seeking work.

I think so yes - but you should go through the flowchart and triple check the exact evidence requirements for your situation (bearing in mind that you might have two different situations (a) out of work + money in account + private health insurance and b) in work and with Carte Vitale) over the period you’ll be submitting your application for.

And the more evidence you have the better given how recent the move is!

Good luck!

1 Like