Mr Uppity Banned!

Seems the word uppity has now been banned for being racist!!!
Some wise prat complained to OffCom about its use by Eamon Holmes at the weekend in relation to a description about the Duchess of Sussex…

Good grief… I remember hearing adults saying “don’t you get uppity with me” to a child who was being a bit (uppity) and it was never, ever, racist… :crazy_face:

I think there is a huge difference in terms of subtext between the US and the UK use of that word.

I agree Vero… it is surely well-known that Americans do not speak English (they speak American )… :hugs:

Books translated from English into French almost always say from which variety of English they have translated, so “Traduit de l’anglais (Australie) or (Royaume-Uni) Or (Etats-Unis)” or even “Traduit de l’américain”.

Absolutely, it is important to understand the differences… I always plump for R-U (or UK) then I have a fair chance of understanding what is going on… :relaxed::upside_down_face:

Many years ago, I baffled a canadian cousin…

(I’ll give you a ring.) Why are you giving him a ring??? :thinking:

Doh… because I’m going to talk with him later, on the phone… :rofl:

So you don’t see how the term might be considered offensive when used with reference specifically to an American woman of colour?

1 Like

I think the word could be considered offensive by anyone who felt they were NOT being uppity - regardless of colour/ethnicity/whatever.

No, 'cos the word uppity has nothing to do with the colour of one’s skin.
Or are you saying that if M was white it wouldn’t be racist? That would in itself be a racist remark! :open_mouth:

Can anyone recall the name of the sweets/chocolate bar (whatever) which had to be renamed as the UK-English “name” meant something offensive in another language… :crazy_face:

I doubt many - any - British people would, apart from those who consider themselves “woke”.

The Americans may be different, of course.

In the English language (whether used by the English, Americans, Australians etc…).There are plenty of adjectives and words with negative connotations used to describe people
Ghastly, greedy, annoying, shallow,spiteful etc. etc. etc…… Does this now mean they can not be used even if true, for fear of being called prejudiced?

Will it come to a point where nobody can be honest and we are only allowed to say positive things about people (harder in some cases than others) Trump and Boris come to mind! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It might not be racist to us Uk English speakers but it may well offend other speakers of English. Everyone was quick to condemn Bo Jo for the use of ‘ Piccaninnies’ . Saying Uppity ( which I have used occasionally myself) maybe particularly offensive to Americans of colour I have never heard it but accept Veros word it is

1 Like

NO! plain and simple.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but just because in your example racists used the word, it does not make the word itself racist! :woman_facepalming:t3:

My school uniform list had 'ngger-brown’ woollen tights on it, in 1970s Scotland. Do you suppose an American might have found that offensive? Why might that be? Well, ‘uppity’ is the same.
(*And I found it bizarre and offensive even then.)

This website does not allow me to post the N word, why do you think that might be?

2 Likes

…because it’s based on an American model? :thinking:

Quite rightly so…
But I was replying and talking about the word uppity which is the topic that @graham bought up.

Graham are you saying that we should be allowed to use the N word in the UK ? Because I will tell you now if I did I would loose my job and my hobby

1 Like