Museums and their appeal

Just wondering which museums folk have visited… or would like to visit… Worldwide…

French museums…

http://www.les-musees-de-france.fr/

Have been to London twice in the last year or so and went to the V & A, British Museum, Natural History Museum and the National Gallery all of which were free.

Whenever we go away we try and visit local museums or galleries however small.

1 Like

I always liked the science and imperial war museums when I was much younger. Went to the hermitage in Leningrad once, fascinating and enormous museum, need at least a week though

1 Like

One of my favourite museums is local to me in Sussex. The Downland and Weald Living Museum - it’s an open air museum and they have reconstructed modest houses through the ages. These houses were all at risk of being demolished and were taken apart and then reconstructed on site. They have also made traditional furniture etc for some of them and it is a fascinating place where they demonstrate traditional crafts.

1 Like

Munich has wonderful museums.
Both the Alte and the Neue Pinakothek and the Lenbachhaus are first class for art.
There is the Engineering Museum and BMW World for those of a more scientific bent.
Last time I was there we took my grandsons aged five and seven to the Treasury of Mad King Ludwig and they were fascinated.
There is even a Heidi Museum.

2 Likes

I spent some time in the past working in Austria and many fab museums in Vienna - only downside is you have to pay. Seeing a large Klimt in all it’s glorious colour right in front of you always leaves me speechless.

1 Like

If anyone is visiting Le Mont Dore area I can highly reccomend this ‘living museum’, visited it several years ago…

http://toinette.com/fr/

1 Like

There are Klimts in Lenbachhaus too.

1 Like

Do you split your time between France and the UK Caroline? I just read your nice post on another thread about being single/retired in France.

Yes I have had a holiday home in France for five years and have split my time between the two. Sometimes I have managed 180 days in France and sometimes only a few months depending on commitments. However I am now thinking of living in France full time - just waiting for details of Brexit outcome.

How lovely Caroline. Must be great to enjoy the best of the UK and the best of France. I hope this Brexit mess is sorted out soon and you can plan your future.

1 Like

I was a volunteer there many years ago

How lovely - gave you good experience for working on rural French houses :rofl:

1 Like

Strangely very true