Mushy Peas anyone?

Also from ‘dan sarf’, but never really aquired the taste. My OH first had them when he worked in the north and loves them. I’m not sure the ‘liquer’ that is served with pie and mash is a looser version of mushy peas, but that looks very :nauseated_face:
Never liked the thought of food puree, except for babies :smile:

2 Likes

I grew up with them, but like people and Marmite (which I happen to like very much), I’m in a love-hate relationship with mushy peas - I love to hate them, always have, always will, just wish I could’ve got my parents to provide me a letter to not have them for school dinners when I was younger.

Love marmite. My parents did the letter out of guilt.

Marmite/vegemite…no no no :zipper_mouth_face:

Grow your own?

Mushy peas - down South…
I grew up in Southampton and we had steeped peas, boiled to death in muslin almost every Sunday.
But, one day, my older cousin saw the green sludge and declared, “Cor, Mushy Peas!” and that was the first time any of us (Mum included) had head the expression - circa 1959 (i.e. pre-TV advertising)
I have them, from a tin, probably every time I have WW’s battered fish & chips (Branston Pickle, pickled onions, optional - vinegar, salt, ketchup/mayonnaise compulsory).

Ian, a man of my heart, Good solid wholesome grub. None of the overpriced cardboard variety from McDucks or whatever they call themselves.

Carlin peas, sold in a paper bag in Newcastle on Tyne. Wikipedia: " It has been suggested that the name " Carlin " comes from “Carling Sunday” or “Care Sunday” after the population of Newcastle were saved from starvation in a siege of 1327 or 1644 when a ship arrived from Norway with a cargo of these peas on that day." Hodmedod in the UK recently started selling them. And I really like the French dried peas others have mentioned.