Mushy Peas anyone?

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade mushy peas ?

Are marrow fat peas available in France ?

Merci

Yes available in France.

225g dried marrow fat peas (no idea if they’ve available in France)
2 tbs baking soda
Salt, pepper, sugar to taste

Soak peas in 250ml boiling water with baking soda for at least 12 hours.

Drain peas into a large pan and cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer for approx 30 mins.

Bon apetit

I’ve never eaten or seen mushy peas, but Mrs Wozza does use these or other sorts & varieties (see photo)

Usually have to soak for a few hours then strain of & rinse & then simmer them up until soft. She then fries up some bacon pieces or lardons & onions. When peas are sort of a mushy blob / thick, then put in the bacon & onions & serves it up. (I put a big knob of butter in mine).
Coming from ‘dan sowthf’ mushy peas are as foreign to me as Haggis. But I do like the mixture on a winters eve.

5 Likes

Same here, being a southern lass I’ve never tried mushy peas either.

1 Like

Yep, me too :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Are these mushy peas not just petits pois squashed with a fork?

Heaven forbid no. Fish chips and mushy pea with loads of salt and vinegar ,to die for. The peas break down in the cooking process . I use the dried peas which are then soaked to make pea and ham soup delicious with Worcester sauce

5 Likes

Purée de pois cassés then? I love fish and chips but have never had mushy peas.
Pickled eggs and pickled onions, too delicious, were on offer at the fish shop in St Andrews where I used to go.

2 Likes

Did you ever have a steak and kidney pudding?

1 Like

We used to get it at school sometimes, in a suet crust, very spongy and stodgy and delicious. Also S &K pie with a puff pastry top.

1 Like

Well Vero, apparently the peas are ‘marrow fat’ whatever they are in French?

Sorry, steak and kidney pudding with mushy peas - food of the gods

3 Likes

Steak and kidney pie, mash and normal peas for me

1 Like

Not much help to those of you in France but the Sainsbury’s Basic Mushy Peas are perfect and 25 pence a tin.

Does anyone remember black peas served in the fish and chip shops in south Lancashire?

Some kind of particular pea, as opposed to the common pea. They’re generally bigger, and have a distinctly “beaner” flavour and consistency to them, in my opinion, but maybe that is just the way they are prepared. Unfortunately, not one my palate has ever taken to. I don’t think I’ve ever come across them in France, either in the shops or in a restaurant. I imagine most French chef’s would turn their noses up at them, preferring the more refined pois cassĂ©s purĂ©e :wink:

1 Like

Now we’re talking, I’m salivating at the thought!

Closest I can find is pois ridés - but that just means dried (well, wrinkled in fact).

I bet marrowfat peas are school peas, those huge ones with a horrible leathery skin and repulsive sludge inside.
I got my parents to write a letter saying I was allergic to them and also to baked beans. Both utterly disgusting to me, they contaminate whatever they share a plate with and render it uneatable, and made me throw up. And they have that loathsome juice they sit in uuuuurrrrgh :fearful:

1 Like