My dog, gone but not forgotten

It's been almost two weeks since the vet came to my house to put my dog to sleep & I can actually talk about it with only a little tremble from my bottom lip! I would have never thought that an animal could provide so much pleasure, comfort & stability merely by being. Nina has been my constant companion for 12 years, joining me after being rescued by a holiday maker friend from a life of being locked in a cellar of an empty house for 5 days out of 7 while the family worked away. I was offered the dog but did not want the tie but in the end agreed to take her & find a new owner. Within 24 hours she was following me everywhere. I did not have the heart to tell her not to waste her emotions on me as she would not be staying, so my pet she became!

It was a decision I never once had reason to regret. Despite her early years she turned out to be a well adjusted, well behaved, astute & loyal companion. I cannot remember having to repremand her ever! We would go everywhere together where possible & she never did anything I felt was inappropriate. We were welcome everywhere!

A few years ago she developed a problem with her pancreas & after a worrying weekend at the vets she was treated but had to have a special diet, boring for her but vital & successful. It was a scare for me & brought it home to me that dogs have a comparatively short lifespan. I would one day lose my companion. It was about this time that I met my oh, also a dog lover, she & Nina hitting it off immediately. It was interesting to see how Nina made sure that she treated us both equally, favouring neither of us above the other. Perfect.

In recent months Nina has found it difficult, but not painful, to use her hind legs, following us at a gentle pace until she would become too tired. She would just stand until I came to carry her back. A few weeks ago it was evident that it was getting more difficult for her so the distances became smaller, going outside the house only for necessary purposes. When my oh left to spend a few weeks visiting family it was just Nina & I. Very soon Nina showed signs of deteriorating. She was not eating or drinking & would sleep for most of the day. After a few days I took her to the vet who confirmed that her pancreas problem had returned. They would do tests but keep her in overnight. I was optimistic as this had always worked before & I expected my visit the following day to show me a restless dog pleased to see me.

I arrived at the vets the following day to see Nina lying in her cage, her fur wet from her own wee, staring at nothing. The tests had shown that her liver & kidneys were also breaking down, the drip was providing fluid which was just passing right through. She looked so miserable...

I said to the vet that if there was no change overnight I would take her home. It was obviously her time. The next day I arrived to be told that Nina had not responded to treatment. Wrapped in a towel I put her in the car & asked the vet to come to the house later to release Nina from the discomfort she must now be in. This would not be until the following morning - it could have been done there & then, but I wanted Nina to be in comfortable surroundings, clean & relaxed.

That afternoon she had a gentle shower, a good dry & brushing, lying on a bed of towels & blankets which needed changing every few minutes. She dozed every now & then, waking to give a little cry, my cue to give her a little cuddle. In the morning the vet duly arrived. By 9.30 Nina was at peace.

Although it is difficult to accept, I feel that I made the right choice, made easier by reading Garth Stein's book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" narrated by a dog called Enzo, from which I quote:-

"Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature." "...that's why I'm here nowwaiting for Denny to come home - he should be here soon- lying on the cool tiles of the kitchen floor in a puddle of my own urine.

I'm old. And while I'm very capable of getting older, that's not the way I want to go out. Shot full of pain medication and steroids to reduce the swelling of my joints. Vision fogged with cataracts."

"But I don't want to be kept alive. Because I know what's next"

I like to think that Nina felt this way.

So sorry to hear of your loss of Nina and such a beautiful tribute. We are facing the decision with Lucky, our Jack Russell of 14 years, who it seems has worn out his name. Sadly, in a way, he's not at the stage of incontinence but almost blind, deaf, confused, and vet has told us his heart is bad so he pants manically ... then like a human will be almost his old self. The vet said, 'when your dog is not your dog ...' .. she was talking of the quality of his life ... my husband thinks we have to take the decision for Lucky's sake and I know so too ... but I'm chickening out of facing it. Can't imagine Lucky not in our life but I know it's not about us but him. And I think your final thoughts and quotes are getting me there towards facing it. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss, how lucky we all are to have shared our lives with some of the best friends humans can ever have. You will soon remember all the funny little quirks and be able to smile at the happy memories. Best Wishes

Thank you so much for posting this, you were very gracious in expressing your feelings, be strong, remember the good times.

Very sad to read… I have two of my own, one being 11 and I know his time will come…

Ruth, I feel the same.

I am sure that the love you share with someone or something so warm and wonderful

will be found again when you venture on.

For those who fail to understand this special love I pity.

I also find that I have very little in common with them.

I share true love for Grizzle, Tito, Dusty, Ginger and Pujols

and they others who sleep tightly on the other side.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We've lived through this, and even though it's the right decision and you know they would tell us to please release them from a life of pain and failing organs, it still hurts like hell. And you will miss Nina for a long time.

But who knows if this separation is truly permanent? Perhaps the day will come when you will open your eyes on a vast and verdant land, and waiting for you is your friend, whole and happy and ready to show you her new world.

My 14 years with Ruby is very similar to your story. She was without a doubt the most intelligent dog I have ever known. Half Australian shepherd. I never had to teach her anything... she figured it out herself. House broken at 9 weeks in two days. ![](upload://ybQgnlsOJKeIA3qhocE7QQxsyeG.jpg)Bladder cancer brought her low in 2009. I was grief stricken for months. I feel your pain Mark... and it never completely leaves. I now have three dogs, a thoroughbred female Sheltie and two rescue male mutts. They are great buddies, but there will never be another Ruby.

Sorry to hear this Mark, you did the kindest thing for Nina. Best wishes

need the box of tissues after reading your story - hits a spot - eventually you think of all the good times, but those last moments seem to linger in the front of your mind forever.

Sorry to hear of your loss, they are always a big impact in your life..... but now she is running around pain free with our beloved Buddy....................... x

Of course you made the right decision, and of course it's difficult. But if you didn't love and appreciate her so much you may not have made that decision. Sign of a good human being - which Nina obviously knew otherwise she wouldn't have attached herself to you so firmly! My wife is a firm believer in dog (and cat) heaven so try to think of her there now having a great time - no pain, no stiffness - and anything to eat she fancies without any adverse side effects.

Such a lovely tribute to your friend Mark. Just reading it has brought tears to my eyes. xx

No Mark you will never forget your wonderful friend.

But she will want you to to give a home and affection to another creature.

You will know when the time is right.

Mark, what a beautifully written tribute to Nina. How difficult those days must have been for you even though in your heart you knew what was best for her. We regret so many decisions in life but the one you will never regret even for an instant is the day you decided to take her in and give her a loving home. I'm looking at that photograph: what a gorgeous girl. It's no surprise at all you succumbed to her charms and forged such a loving friendship.

Bless you I feel your pain like every other dog/cat owner , Im just about to lose my old girl and its killing me 17 years we have been together but go she will...... xx

Sorry to read this touching story but somewhat ironic having just today returned from Toulouse where our 7 yo Lab had a scan and we discovered a serious nasal tumour. He seems very happy and is eating well but we have to decide as and when he is suffering and act accordingly

Mark, I am so sorry to read of your loss of Nina. It is heartbreaking when we have to say goodbye to the furry members of our family.

You write such a beautiful and moving tribute to NIna, thank you for sharing this very personal moment.

Mark - I know just how you are feeling - we lost our Tessie three weeks ago to pancreatic cancer - it was so quick that my husband wasn't able to say goodbye as he had been away on business for a week - I keep finding him just standing in the garden looking into space, sniffing gently. We are all still in shock and I am tearing up while typing this. They are only ever with us for a short time but bring us so much joy and happiness; their innocence and joy of life help to focus us humans on the simpler pleasures in life - a cool breeze; a good walk and the odd cuddle. The pain will ease (or so I keep telling myself) but the wonderful memories will remain. xx

We said goodbye to our much loved Border Terrier Toby ,in August,he also had an illness and deteriorated in 24 hours. It was one of the saddest days of my life.We are still coming to terms with the loss and the physical pain it has caused.He was our companion for 13 years, and was in some ways a difficult dog but loving and faithfull with us.Reading your post has reduced me to tears. We still have Tilly who is nearly 16 ,slow, and sometimes a mite confused, so know that soon we will have to go through her loss too. The joy both dogs have brought is incalculable but so is the pain of losing them.